No hot water from shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a gravity fed system and recently it's been temperamental as to whether I will have hot water in the shower. The hot water is programmed to come on 1.5 hours before I get in the shower, but sometimes it will be luke warm. If I turn on the immersion heater then I get hot water in the shower. Can anyone point me in the direction of what might be wrong and what steps to check?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
switch your hot water on at boiler clock give it 20 min and see if the pipes going to the coil on the cylinder are hot.if not you got a blockage or air in the pipes or boiler not coming on

Thanks for your reply diverdee. Had a house free this weekend and could clear the airing cupboard out and test the pipes. The pipe going in to the cylinder is not very warm, but the other pipes (I assume going to the radiators) are boiling hot.

Would this point to being a blockage? Is there anything I can do about this? Would I need to get someone corgi registered in? Thanks

You don't need someone corgi, or gas safe as it's is now, to look at your central heating.

Do you have any valves on the pipe work to the cylinder/ radiators?

They will be white or silver boxes, with 2 or 3 pipes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks xr4.

Yes, there are 2 x Honeywell 8823 on the pipes to the radiators. Picture here

and this is on the pipe going in to the bottom of the cylinder

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can provide

Is there one of those Honeywell valves to the pipe work to the cylinder?

That gate valve in the lower picture is the cold supply to the tank, hot supply to the taps at the top. You don't need to worry about these.

It's the other two, normally next to each other on the side, one hot from boiler, the other return to the boiler.

Ah I see. Yes, the other honeywell is on a pipe that after moving stuff aronud I can see goes to the top of the cylinder

There will be a little lever on the side, slide it across and lock into the manual position.

See if the boiler fires up and the pipes get hot, if they don't, turn the heating on and check again... Just make sure the lever stays locked in the manual position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back