no hot water from taps..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iv no hot water from any taps in a flat, not even any flowing water..
Cold is perfect and cylinder is hot as is the vent pipe hot.. just no flowing water.

Tried connecting mains cold to hot and im getting flowing water from all hot taps. once i disconnect the hose i get nothing again.

Cylinder is only for hot water as flat has economy 7 heating.

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Airlock by the sounds of it. I take it the cylinder is tank fed, has the supply been run dry? If you check in thisa forum , one of the sticky's - top tips and fixes - it explains how to use the cold water to flush up the hot pipe and drive the air out, if you have a mixer tap.

Yes its tank fed, iv tried connecting the maons cold to the hot via washing machine valves and i managed to get flowing water from hot pipes, thinking it had worked i disconnected them and no flowing water from hot again..
The cylinder gets hot and vent pipe gets hot too.

Sponsored Links
You're supposed to have all the other taps shut, only the cold and hot on the same mixer are open and do short bursts as it's a vented system. You wish to force cold water back up the pipework to the tank, if you have the other taps open then it won't reach the tank.
Again, read the sticky post at the top of this forum called tips n fixes 0 removing airlocks.

Check the ballvalve isn't stuck in the big tank in the loft, also check theres plenty of water in there. If there is you have either an airlock and/or a blockage. Quick way to clear airlock is hold the palm of your hand over a mixer tap spout, open the hot tap handle, then open the cold, leave it running about a minute then turn off the cold and remove your hand, you might need to do this a few times to get it sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back