No hot water help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

All and any help appreciated

Running an ideal boiler, working fine from a central heating perspective - kicks in when programme running and thermostat switches on.

And when heating is on, I'm getting hot water.

However, since warmer weather, heating has not been coming on and I've had no hot water.

Checking all i can think of today i have noticed that my Drayton Digistat SCR may not be functioning properly.

I noticed no lights on it. Holding down both buttons to reset, the red receiver light flashes, then pressing over ride button the green on light comes on, then pump kicks in and boiler turns on with no radiators warming so I think doing it’s heating hot water function.

However within minutes the red light flashes again on the SCR, as if it is receiving a signal from somewhere, then all turns off again.

And the cycle repeats.

Any suggestions please? I wondered if replacing the SCR might help, but then thinking if it is being triggered off all the time by something I can’t think of, that might not be the answer.

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
I would have thought the scr is for heating only? Sounds like you have a y-plan system and a failure in the motorised valve. Can you post a photo of the cylinder cupboard and all controls? Or is it an ideal combi boiler?

It is an ideal logic heat 18 - I don’t think a combo boiler, a condensing boiler I think.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Here’s the setup, happy to take any close ups if needed!

Attachments

• IMG_3795.jpeg
    IMG_3795.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3796.jpeg
    IMG_3796.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Thanks
Sponsored Links
Here’s the setup, happy to take any close ups if needed!
Ok, those changes things slightly. You have an unvented cylinder, which will need a G3 registered engineer to work on it. It doesn’t sound like anything other than the valve, as you have hot water when heating is on. Not a y-plan, but S-plan plus. It’s failed to spring back fully, which is why you have hot water when heating is on.

Thanks so much. Guessing you mean diverter valve? So if I find a G3 reg engineer and suggest I need a diverter valve replacing, I’ll be pretty close?

Really appreciate your help.

• Thanks
Thanks so much. Guessing you mean diverter valve? So if I find a G3 reg engineer and suggest I need a diverter valve replacing, I’ll be pretty close?

Really appreciate your help.
Not really a diverter valve. It’s correct name is a spring return 2 port motorised valve. Yes, you can suggest a new Honeywell 2 port actuator (this is the name for the head part (metal box) that can be replaced) or the synchron motor if applicable.

If you can afford the electric bill, you could use the immersion heater(s).

Thank you.

I turned the immersion heater on but it didn’t seem to make a difference or generate any hot water. How long might that take?

Perhaps I turn it on overnight and see if any hot water by morning!

If the hot water tank is cold then a couple of hours to heat it up BUT you should feel warmer water sooner than that.

• Thanks
Thank you.

I turned the immersion heater on but it didn’t seem to make a difference or generate any hot water. How long might that take?

Perhaps I turn it on overnight and see if any hot water by morning!
I suppose it depends if it’s working, what the temperature is set to and the heat recovery required. It can take around an hour, give or take.

Can't read the HW cylinder capacity but assuming 200L then a 3kw immersion will take 1.2hrs to heat it from cold at say 25C to 40C or 2.7hrs (say 3 hrs) to heat to 60C.
Is the Drayton digital SCR a programmer and is it battery powered?.

Ok, those changes things slightly. You have an unvented cylinder, which will need a G3 registered engineer to work on it. It doesn’t sound like anything other than the valve, as you have hot water when heating is on. Not a y-plan, but S-plan plus. It’s failed to spring back fully, which is why you have hot water when heating is on.
Is G3 needed to fix a motorised valve? Just asking

• Thanks
Tbf I’m not 100% sure, I would like to think so and have given advice based on this. Should anything go wrong with it would you like to be responsible? I have just completed my unvented training yesterday and they only mentioned 2 safety devices, but G3 of the building regulations mentions motorised valves as an energy cut out.

Strictly speaking, If it's the 2 port valve that covers the HW cylinder then yes. It is considered part of the safety features of the cylinder and would be connected to the HL/combined Stat.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back