No hot water in taps, but central heating working fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Glowworm Flexicom 18hx condensation boiler. I can set the central heating temperature on the device, and I have a thermostat controller (Honeywell CM907) where I set the heating schedule. I don't have any other controller to set the hot water (tap) temperature. AND this system has been working fine for more than 6 years. Yesterday, the hot water in the taps stopped, but the central heating is working fine. A heating engineer came today, and basically said, I can't find the hot water controller, so there is nothing I can do; and left.

He said that I need to install this Hot Water controller.

So, my question is:
1. What is this controller? Is it really needed for the boiler I have?
2. How has the system been working for past 6 years without this controller?
3. What option do I have? Can I bypass this controller and have the hot water working in the tap? or my only option is to now install this controller?
I'm a bit dumbfounded with how the system has worked for 6+ years without this controller, since he is saying that this is important.

Please help. Any advice on what to do is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did he just bugger off? What a tosser.

The hot water comes from a hot water tank. Did he bother looking at that?

No. He was just after this 'Hot water controller'. He couldn't find it, so said that there is nothing he can do. :(

No. He was just after this 'Hot water controller'. He couldn't find it, so said that there is nothing he can do. :(
I hope you didn't pay him.

Complain to his company and ask for a proper engineer who actually gives a **** to come back.

They need to explain to you how a heating/hot water system works, find out why yours has stopped and offer a genuine solution to fix it.

That's outrageous behaviour.

Sponsored Links
it was via the insurance guys
Why would insurance be sending out a heating engineer?

Nevermind, clearly, the lad got his day pay and was keen to bugger off to the next paycheck.
Ring them back and play merry hell. Have a DIY/Practical-capable friend with you when they send the next "Engineer"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back