no hot water on Y plan system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, please could someone help? I'm trying to solve a problem for my parents.

Currently, we can't seem to get any hot water but heating comes on no problem.

When I call for hot water on the controller (an EMP2) I can hear the pump whirring. The little lever/indicator on the side of the DV seems to stay in the H position and I can't push this lever to position M or W.

Is the DV faulty? What further checks can I do?

Many thanks...

Sponsored Links
Turn off the power to the central heating/boiler and see if you can hear the valve returning.

What valve you got, drayton ? if the lever did not move I think the valve is "past its best" but easy enough to change the head on these.

Sponsored Links
If the head rattles when you take it off (if its not a very early unremovable one) then the spindle holding the return spring has snapped and needs a new actuator. If no rattle and the spring returns just give the spindle on the valve a few waggles with an adjustable spanner to clear the scale siezing it.

The DV is a BGMVSP-23.

I did get it working eventually but didn't want to post back until I confirmed it was working a few days later.

I turned it off again (the electrics) and pushed a button in at the side which somehow allowed me to move the lever upto W. Turned the electrics back on and it stayed as I was demanding hot water. I then demanded heating only on the timer and it started moving back to H. When I demanded water only again it wouldn't go back. I then found that the wire from the DV to the junction box is wrapped around the DV once and this was snagging on another lever underneath. Once I moved the cable from near this lever and demanded water/heating/both it was happily changing between W, M and H.

Hope all the above makes sense

Thanks to you both for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back