Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

This is my first post, so excuse me if I do anything incorrectly.

I have a Baxi Solo 18 HE Regular Boiler and normally when the hot water is on, we hear a whirring sound. But yesterday morning, there was no sound and I suspected the hot water system is broken. However the heating is working fine. I tried to DIY and found the lever attached to a small honeywell unit (attached image). The lever was in the position where the box is in the image and I flicked it to the position where the circle is in the pic and the hot water seems to be working.

I am not sure what the lever is for and is there any problem in leaving the lever in the position shown in the image ?

Or is something wrong and do I need to get a pro to have a look at it ?

Kind regards
Francis
Boiler.jpg

Sponsored Links
You have overridden the thermostat function for your hot water by doing that, so you'll most likely end up with scalding hot water in the not too distant future.

That valve has probably stopped working, causing your lack of hot water, so it needs to be repaired

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks Andrew. Does it mean that the hot water will be constantly heating up even if the hot water system is not on ?

Is this serious issue or can I wait until tomorrow as I am away from home today.

Once again thank you.

Kind regards
Francis

Sponsored Links
The lever that you have latched open is the manual by-pass, it is used for filling the system with water, with that make the boiler wont fire unless you switch the CH on which with the valve latched it will also heat the HW up, to be safe turn the boiler ch thermostat down to about 60 degrees and that will be the maximum that the HW cyl will get to until you can get someone out to sort it, most likely to be a synchron motor in the valve, but could be an external control gone faulty, either way shouldnt be a big job for a competent engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back