No Hot water - Potterton Suprima 50L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got no hot water working...but the central heating works.

Can anyone post any advice on what to do about this? I've followed the FAQ about manually opening up the valve and turning the heating on. For some reason, no (hot) water seems to be going through the (now manually opened) valve. The central heating is definetely working, but nothing from the hot taps. I've got two separate valves - both 2 ports. The heating one is controller by a Drayton and the hot water one is a Honeywell.

Pressure seems to be at the right level.

When I switch on advance for hot water (leaving heating off) from the programmer, the boiler doesn't operate at all - no noise, nothing.

I also think that the element in the immersion (Santon PP150B) has died too since when I switch on the hot water switch, it lights but nothing happens even after several hours - it's been on for over a day now.

Will the system just point blank refuse to supply hot water if the element has gone in the immersion?

Any help would be appreciated at this point.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How long did you leave the hot water valve open for? It won't heat the water immediately, try it again as per the FAQ and leave it on for an hour minimum.

Most likely the motor has gone in the valve, easy job.

Ok. I've read through the faq again - I've got the opposite problem, how would I adjust the stat settings for hot water only? I don't need the heating on in this weather?

To get you warm, turn the cylinder thermostat right up to 70, and the boiler thermostat down to 1. Then put the CH valve lever (3 port valve lever) in the hooky place which holds it in the MAN position.

Turn the HW ON at the programmer.
The system will try to make the HW hot, but will fail to get hot enough because of the stat settings. Your rads will warm up and the TRVs
will still work but not the wall thermostat.

Obviously, I'd have to turn Central Heating on at the programmer... would I have to adjust the central heating thermostat or cylinder thermostat at all?

Thanks

turn on the heating and open the hot water valve manually. Leave it running for while and see if the water is heating up. Don't touch the hot water thermostat, it's doing nothing now.

Just remember the hot water has no way of shutting off now so it may get very hot indeed. Turn down the boiler stat if you are concerned by this.

Sponsored Links
Hmm.. I'm sure I did do that over the past day. All that seemed to happen was that the central heating got very hot - but no hot water at all.

I felt the pipes separated by the valve and the top whilst hot, the bottom was stone cold. This is after the valve was manually opened of course. It was on for over an hour - possibly two.

I'll give it a go again and try report back a bit later.

I'm worried that the valve may well be stuck on closed? Is that possible?

Ok. As a follow up, I've done as instructed in the FAQ, and it's been over 3 hours now. The house is now quite hot due to the central heatig being on. However, there's still no hot water whatsoever - not even warm.

In the cylinder cupboard, I've felt the pipes, the pipe above the valve that won't switch (which is locked to open manually) is quite hot, the pipe below that is cold.

So.. is it possible that the valve itself is stuck closed? I've taken the motorised valve off and checked the spindle is moving - it is pretty easy to move, even by hand but it doesn't move very far.

Any more ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back