No hot water - potterton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone
I have a potterton profile 80 e boiler, open vented, honeywell controls pack standard stuff,the problem is i only have luke warm water - either on heating & hot water or hot water only.I have changed the motorised 3 way valve head ( didn't have to take out valve body ) and now changed the cylinder thermo stat, still no joy.The pipe leading to the cylinder heating coil seems to be fairly hot and the return from the coil below ambient.Also the pump is noisier on hot water only than combined heating.
Can any one help as i am sick of boiling kettle for shave!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
The water temperature is controlled by the boiler...how high is it set on there?

There's probably an air vent on the upper of the two pipes to the cylinder. Air means no water circulation. Try bleeding it. May need small spanner, or screwdriver or rad vent key.
Let us know - you could have a soggy ball...

ollski said:
The water temperature is controlled by the boiler...how high is it set on there?
Hello
The water temperature is set to nearly 5 on a scale of 1 to 5.For some reason this is normally lower but if i reduce setting the boiler kicks out.
jonny hep

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
There's probably an air vent on the upper of the two pipes to the cylinder. Air means no water circulation. Try bleeding it. May need small spanner, or screwdriver or rad vent key.
Let us know - you could have a soggy ball...
Hello
I have air vents either side of pump and also on the delivery pipe to the coil, i have bled all of these with the pump off. There is a open vent on the flow pipe to the coil also.
Any thoughts
jonny hep

See if a magnet sticks to the pipes where the feed (15mm) joins the system (bottom cylinder connection to the boiler probably). Sludge contains iron.

Thanks for that chris r - i checked the pipe from the bottom connection from the coil leaving the cylinder and found it was magnetic!
Now here's the question is there a quick way of de sludging or is it full drain down?
Could the sludge also make the pump noisier in operation when in hot water mode only ( back pressure maybe )
Regards
jonnyhep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back