No hot water pressure

jtc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I have just added a larger hot water cylinder, about twice the size of the old one. It is a vented system, does not contain any air blockages but there is practically no flow coming out of the top, it is just a trickle (0.25 litres/minute). Have tested flow up to cylinder feed and that is fine. I suspect that it may be not enough head pressure from the storage tank (about 2m) to flow through the new cylinder. Do you think this is possible and how should I rectify it. I talked to a pump manufacturer and they sugguested a negative pump after the cylinder and before outlets. This is £300 so do not want to spend it if it is something a bit simpler. Thanks

Sponsored Links
air lock - probably on a near-level section of the cold feed to the cylinder, probably near the cold tank. (Always assuming the old cylinder worked a LOT better.)

Sponsored Links
Problem solved. it did appear like an air block but I had pumped mains pressure through the drain valve so doubted this was the problem. However I went through every compression nut loosening off and testing for flow, a bit messy but so what. I got to one elbow and there was good flow one side but a trickle the other. The flow to the cylinder feed which previously I thought was ok must have been it just draining from the cylinder. Opening it up I found two small stones and a load of debris. I have just bought the house and it was basically drained down and abandoned for a while before. My guess is that the draining and refilling drew this gunge into the system until it all blocked up in an elbow. An interesting lesson !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back