boosting hot water pressure from a cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, brand new here, I need help please!

Okay. I have a cylinder in my bedroom, which is on the same level as the bathroom.
The hot water pressure is really bad, so I installed a single impeller booster pump ( with built in pressure switch ) to the outlet of the cylinder.
All it does is feed the hot water back into the tank above via the expansion pipe. Rather than boost the hot water pressure/flow. Should I have fit it to the cold inlet instead? Any help gratefully received! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Should be on the outlet (top pipe) of the cylinder but after the vent pipe.
The vent pipe should be on the suction side of the pump.

Wow quick response thanks guys!.

Well, they are both joined on a T, one going to hot water services, one going back into the cold header tank. As mentioned, when the pump runs it just pumps water back into the tank.

Oh I see now, sorry. I came straight out of the tank, through pump them back to T that feeds both pipes.

Sponsored Links
Pump should be after the vent as said.
I always prefer a pump seperate to the vent ie on a essex, surrey flange.

I see what you mean, I suppose I put it there because it was easier to access.

I have seen conflicting threads on other forums, which say put it on the cold inlet. Would this still work or not? Thanks once again.

EDIT. I did not use an essex...surrey flange. lol

Ohh. I really appreciate your help thank you! :D

Why is that vent there in the first place? I am an electrician... :oops:

Paranoia again.
No real need for it. Any expansion of hot water would go straight up the feed pipe. If the vent pipe wasn't there.

If you cap the vent pipe it will work perfect.
Just don't say I told you to do it. I am sure I will will be struck down by
people quoting regulations. I suppose there is the chance of collapsing
the cylinder if the feed pipe became blocked with a pump after the cylinder
but slim.

I thought " can I just cap it " but then I thought 'regs'.

I wouldn't want to come home from a two week break to find a swimming pool in my living room!
I'll do it right today, and post pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back