No hot water supply to downstairs WC - Building Regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The day after buying our 'new' house a couple of years ago, it became clear why there was no hot water from the 'H' tap in the downstairs loo. Both taps had in fact been connected to a single cold supply pipe:LOL:

It's not really bothered us, TBH, and I can see why the house layout might have made getting hot water to the sink a bit of a faff. However, I have read somewhere on t'interweb that Building Regulations require every wash basin associated with a WC to have a hot water supply.

Clearly, this was something missed by our surveyor when we bought the place, but will I be so lucky when we possibly come to sell in the future?

Sponsored Links
If the layout really makes the DHW feed such a faff to install retrospectively then consider a small electric hand wash or water heater.

Jon

will I be so lucky when we possibly come to sell in the future?

It depends if their surveyor misses it likes yours did :rolleyes:

Is there only 1 feed going into the downstairs loo? no boiler, kitchen sink etc.. close by that could be tapped into?

Sponsored Links
Might be a bit overkill that for just a downstairs basin and probably would require a new circuit.

Last edited:
Trying to remember the last time a house surveyor (bearing in mind that they are mostly complete muppets) has checked a tap, let alone a hot tap, let let alone a hot tap long enough to see if it was connected to the hot supply ;)

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

The house is old and is 'long and thin', the loo being right at one end. There's an outside tap on one of the external walls (hence the easy cold feed!), but the nearest DHW availability is some distance away through some very solid walls:mad:

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

The house is old and is 'long and thin', the loo being right at one end. There's an outside tap on one of the external walls (hence the easy cold feed!), but the nearest DHW availability is some distance away through some very solid walls:mad:

Where abouts are you Lincs? Someone may be able to have a look and see your available options.

Jon

As said, it is rare for any surveyor to even notice things like that.

It annoys me that many councils have public toilets with no hot water at basins. They seem to turn a blind eye to their own infringements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back