No hot water, unvented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've woken up to no hot water, CH is working fine and no error codes showing on the boiler.
Having looked at the unvented cylinder I have noticed the stat has obviously been whacked out of place but when pushing it back on I'm still not getting any demand. Have tried the reset button but still no joy. Stat is https://heatingpartswarehouse.co.uk/product/codice-dual-combined-high-limit-thermostat/

Before I go undoing anything should I be checking anything else?

Sponsored Links
I've woken up to no hot water, CH is working fine and no error codes showing on the boiler.
Having looked at the unvented cylinder I have noticed the stat has obviously been whacked out of place but when pushing it back on I'm still not getting any demand. Have tried the reset button but still no joy. Stat is https://heatingpartswarehouse.co.uk/product/codice-dual-combined-high-limit-thermostat/

Before I go undoing anything should I be checking anything else?
Maybe the high limit switch has tripped, if so it probably needs manual reset.

Maybe the high limit switch has tripped, if so it probably needs manual reset.
There's a reset button on the stat that I've tried but it seems to make no difference. Is there another way such as power cycling?

Sponsored Links
There's a reset button on the stat that I've tried but it seems to make no difference. Is there another way such as power cycling?
I'd start by making sure power is getting to the cylinder stat when HW is calling on the timer. If so, check power is also coming out of the stat.

Unvented cylinders are regulated therefore anything over and above basic checks and what the manual suggests the user can do ( e.g. bubble recharge) would normally fall under the realms of a qualified professional, just for you and yours safety.

If the stat was whacked then it could be damaged, stating the obvious but it shouldn't really be in any position whereby it can get whacked in the first place.

Unvented cylinders are regulated therefore anything over and above basic checks and what the manual suggests the user can do ( e.g. bubble recharge) would normally fall under the realms of a qualified professional, just for you and yours safety.

If the stat was whacked then it could be damaged, stating the obvious but it shouldn't really be in any position whereby it can get whacked in the first place.
All true but this is just stuck on the side rather than a part of the fluid under pressure. Location wise, well I could give a soliloquy on how many ballsups my plumbers and builders did. If I'm unsure of anything at all I don;t touch anything

All true but this is just stuck on the side rather than a part of the fluid under pressure
Unfortunately that doesn't matter, it is one of number of controls and safety features that protects an unvented HW cylinder, therefore is covered by the regulations. Any work on an unvented cylinder and its associated controls/safety feature requires a qualified professional to work on it. I am sorry to say they are not DIY'able. That includes any valves that may control the heat source to that cylinder.

Pressing a reset button or the like is fair enough for anyone to check but when it gets into the realms of checking and testing controls etc that when it really should be by someone whose qualified. I can't attest to what the previous experience you have had with workers has been like and believe you me, I've had to fix my fair share of dangerous install nightmares, all the more reason though to get a recommended and experience professional in to given it the once over and service it.

Last edited:
Have sorted for now, the motorised valve had stuck but after a poke it's fine for the time being. A nice simple fix that @Mottie suggested off the bat :)

Have sorted for now, the motorised valve had stuck but after a poke it's fine for the time being. A nice simple fix that @Mottie suggested off the bat :)
I did it! I did it! I suggested something that worked! :cool: :ROFLMAO: See, every now and then, even a blind squirrel will dig up a nut! ;)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back