No hot water weird clunking noise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first post on this newsgroup. If you can help please read the whole post as there are quite a few variables that need to be taken into account.

My mum has a potterton boiler. When she sets the programmer to HW the boiler gas kicks in and all seems well for a few mintues but then the boiler makes a series of loud bad clunking noises and the pressure guage needle flicks up and down until the boiler gives up the ghost and sits there no flame or anything. The central heating side of things seems to work but I only ran it for a short time as it was 30 celcius outside!! The pump in the airing cupboard whizzes around continuously and gets very hot.

All this occurred after two things that need to be taken into account:

1. The boiler had been off for 2 weeks as Mum was on holiday. I don't know if this has happened before as Dad used to take care of it but unfortunately he died two months ago.

2. I have been doing some plumbing upstairs extending the hot and cold into a room that will be the kitchen of my flat (moving in to look after Mum) and I suppose I could have introduced an air block somewhere in the hot water system.

3. Boiler hasn't ever been serviced as far as I can tell.

I think it is an air-lock somewhere but I dont know how to clear it.

Sorry this is so long but I would like to be able to at least know what the problem could be before Mum calls in a "proper plumber" and ends up being ripped off.

TIA

Oliver

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
To do that do I take out the screw and check something is turning? I have been reading through the other posts. I must say there is some invaluable info on this site. Credit to you all!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back