No hot water - will flushing the system fix the problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our hot water no longer kicks in via the timer - only when you switch on the emersion heater.

An engineer has been out and can't find a fault and says that the water in the system is dirty and will need flushing as there could be a blockage.

I'm confused, why would flushing the system fix the problem - I would have thought flushing the system would clean the central heating system, i.e radiators, but how does this tie in with the hot water system, (from tap).

The switches have been changed as originally thought these were at fault, i.e. not heating water at desired time.

Any clues.

Sponsored Links
The heating circuit also loops into your hot water cylinder via a coil this my be blocked.
Check and see if the pipes leading to and from are hot.
It may also be a simple faulty motorised valve .
As Scatman says need more info on your system to be more exact.
Pete

Hi,

The system is ...

Appliance Type C/Heat Boiler Olympic 20/35B
GC Number 4178921

They suggest a Power Flush of the system which should resolve the hot water, (from tap), problem. Also, radiators upstairs need bleeding constntly so should resolve this as well !

Being quoted over a grand for the work. Does this sound right for a small semi.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Being quoted over a grand for the work. Does this sound right for a small semi.

Rogue Traders territory. Find another plumber!
Could be a motor costing less than £20 in the sheds...

£1000 for a powerflush and I thought London prices were steep.
For a 3 bed semi with up to 10 rads we charge £420 including all chemicals and final add inhibitor.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back