No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On getting home yesterday we found our central heating / hot water programmer had fused. The fuse was replaced and is now working.

However, since this has gone we cannot get the hot water cylinder to heat the water.

We think it may be the thermostat (Range dual thermostat TS207) this does not seem to click when we turn it. we have pressed the button on the front (assume this is how it resets) but still nothing.

Would the thermostat fuse the programmer?

Should the electric immersion heater have its own thermostat so we can use this?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Go ahead and use your immersion heater - it has its own built in thermostat.
A fault within the room stat would certainly blow a fuse in the programmer, so I guess you need a new stat.
John :)

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. The electric immersion is on and your right it is heating up.

However, I am a bit confused now as I just turned the thermostat dial (the one on the heating system on the front of the cylinder not the electric immersion) and it is now clicking at about the temperature the water is.

Any ideas why the boiler is not heating up the water and could it be something to do with the fuse blowing? If the thermostat is clicking does this mean it is not faulty?

Claire

The thermostat strapped to your copper cylinder usually sends a signal to a motorised valve on your heating circuit, that allows hot water produced by the boiler to enter the heating coil within the copper cylinder, indirectly heating up the water that you wash with. Normally this stat is set to 60 degrees - if it clicks its usually a good sign that its working.
Fuses don't blow for no reason. Usually its caused by a direct short circuit due to the failure of an electrical component.
Replacing the fuse may reinstate parts of your heating system, but for sure, something remains damaged somewhere - which may be in the programmer. From here its impossible to tell, unfortunately.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi John

Thanks that is a great help.

I think we will do some investigations before we replace anything.

Any clues to how we go about testing the individual components and which ones are likely to be the culprit?

Thanks again

Claire

Am I right in thinking you've got an unvented cylinder (hence the duostat) ?
It should have the make / model written on it.

Hi

We have got a Tribune HE Unvented cylinder with a dual thermostat model TS207 (looked this up on range website)

We have a Sunvic programmer and a gloworm gas fired boiler.

www.range-cylinders.co.uk/pdfs/technical/tribune.pdf

We basically have the set up in our airing cupboard as on age 3 of the link above.

It is only 3 years old but we did have problems with the programmer not working last year, but this problem was that the programmer wouldn't work at all.

Thanks

Claire

In you airing cupboard do you have
two 2 port valves or,
one 3 port valve and one 2 port valve ?

Hi

Not really sure but there are 2 valves - how do I tell?

The first looks like it is on the central heating bit is a SZM 1802 and TS93 and the second down by the cold inlet is a SZM1803 and TS93 but they both have just a 1 pipe going in each end (not 3 - none going in the bottom) if this is what makes it a 2 way rather than a 3 way?

Hope that makes sense!!

Sounds like 2 x 2ports.

You need to check for continuity across the duostat, terminals 2 & C with the stat turned up to max. - This is best done with a multimeter.

This will confirm if the duostat is a problem or not.

Hi

Thats great, we don't have a multimeter but will invest in one as cheaper than getting somebody out!!

How do we do that check is it simple and if it is the stat, is it something we can change ourselves quite easily?

I have just twiddled the stat again and it is not clicking now? Very odd but may point to it being the problem.

Thanks again - a great help

Claire

I would advise you to get someone who is familiar with unvented cylinders (and is qualified to G3) to take a look.
If it is the duostat it's not going to cost much in labour to replace it, - but as it's one of the safety items on an unvented cylinder it's better to be safe than sorry.

kind regards

Hi

Thanks for the advice, we will do that.

Thanks again for all your help it is really appreciated.

I'll keep you posted on how we get on.

Claire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back