no hot water!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got a back boiler heating system and i currently have no hot water. The heating/radiators work fine but i have no hot water at the taps, where should i look first? thanks

Sponsored Links
no water or no hot water ie is anything coming out the hot taps

depending on your system the most likley cause will be a zone valve
they should look something like this see if you can find them in your airing cupboard

Sponsored Links
the only thing that looks similar around the tank is a thermostat, is this it? i take it the water in the tanks in the attic is always cold??

yea the roof tanks should be cold

no the thermostat isnt it

it is dificult to diagnose as your system could have a gravity hot water circuit. if this is the case the most likely cause would be the thermostat or air locked circuit check for an air release valve near cylinder

if it is fully pumped and has zone valves they would normally be the cause and would normally be located in the airing cupboard but often on backboilers you will find the pump and valves are hidden behind removable panel on the side of the chimney

roughly how old is your system

i would say its original so probably about 30 years old! i had new taps put on a downstairs sink last week. Do you think air may be in the system? what do the valves look like?

the valves look like the picture i posted although they could have blue or white plastic heads rather than silver metal ones

here is what i would do
1: turn on hot water at programmer and turn up thermostat
2: go to boiler and listen to see if it lights (even briefly)

if it does light but goes out quickly likley causes are
air trapped in a gravity circuit
if this is the case you will find a air release valve on the pipe near to where it enters the side of the cylinder this will either require some pliers or a radiator bleed key

if the boiler does not light at all and it is on a fully pumped system it is likely that the hot water motorised valve has failed you would need find and replace this valve

you can safely assume that your boiler, pump, and central heating valve is working correctly as you said the heating works

let me know how you get on i am trying my best to help but it is difficult without being there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back