No idea which Lighting cables go where!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am very much a novice when it comes to electrics and turn to this FORUM due to a lack of response from local electricians.

My problem is that a plaster replaced my kitchen ceiling over the weekend and he didn't note which cables were connected to the light!

As a result only 1 light works in my entire house (under the stairs).

I have two lights in the Kitchen (each controlled by their own switch). The first cable has 3 black cables and 1 red cable (2 of the black cables are twisted around themselves so guess they both need to go into the same connector?

The second cable (for the second light) has 3 Black cables twised around themselves, 1 further black cable and 2 bear copper cables twisted around themselves.

I just bought a multimeter so I can attempt to find which ones are live and Nuetral but not too clued up as to which setting to use etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest you start with simple continuity to ID the 2 x switch wires.

Power down / isolate (and check with meter) the light circuit at the CU via fuse removal or MCB off.

Your meter will have a continuity / ohms reading- hopefully when selected and the leads of the meter touched together the meter will beep. Check and see 1st.

Each switch should have one cable, a TE with black and red cores + CPC / earth.
Twist 1 switch cable cores (black and red) together and then go through each cable on the ceiling- Beep, will prove when you have the correct loop / cable- Mark the cable.

Repeat for the next switch cable.

You have now ID'd the switch cables for each of your lights.

All other cables should be the live / neutral feeds from the CU to light and then light A to light B to light C etc...

Follow the example here and you should see the light. If you are not comfortable doing the work, save yourself from getting a jolt and call in a qualified spark.

electrics:lighting:ceilingroses2qs.jpg

Look at a 1 hour labour charge, which is cheaper than ending up hurt.

If your plasterer took the light down then isn't it his problem to sort out? ;)

The other thing I forgot to mention is that there are no ceiling rose's in the kitchen just normal lights - I may be wrong but is are the diagrams listed for ceiling rose terminations.

With this in mind would all neutral's go into the neutral terminating block and all live go into yhe live terminating block etc

Cheers

Sponsored Links
They tend to use the "it's wet" so I can't refix line.........

Chri5 said:
Twist 1 switch cable cores (black and red) together and then go through each cable on the ceiling

Why not just leave the switch intact & turn it on & off to verify continuity?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back