No inhibitor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well, the CH stopped working. BG came round and found the pump next to the water tank was really really clogged. See pic! Due to no inhibitor in the system.

Pump was replaced and all is working great. However, I am worried about the clogging elsewhere in the system. I need to put a radiator back on so I can add the inhibitor into that before I open the valves. But I am worried that the inhibitor will loosen the crud and block pipes etc? I know I am in a no win situation, if no inhibitor it will continue to build, put inhibitor in and it may loosen the crud?

Any thoughts?

Also, I have another option of draining the system down but I am worried about refilling it. I have taken a picture of the system, is it what we call gravity fed? Does this mean to drain it I just turn the main stop cock off, drain the system from downstairs, and then when I am finished I add the inhibitor and turn the main stop cock back on and it will fill the system again?
Thanks,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Fit a magnetic filter and a dose of x400, leave for 2-4 weeks and drain. Then apply x100 and clean filter weekly until system is free from loose material.

Can someone help me with the drain down and refill procedure please?

See: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/boiler-central-heating-faqs.175736/

To add to that.

There might be more than one drain off point. If you have any rads fed by pipes from above there should be a drain on that section of the system as well.

Check the washer on the drain cocks before you refill (take it right out) I had to replace a couple of mine when I drained down recently as they were knackered

If it is a quick drain and refill you can just turn off the mains stop cock and you won't need any of the mains fed services. If it will be more prolonged then go and tie up the stop cock on the F&E tank (or turn of the isolating valve if it has one.

You will probably need to go round a couple of items bleeding the rads to make sure the system is fulling bled and refilled

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your replies.

Before I drain the system down, I just want to confirm that my system is what I think we call an open vented Promax HE Plus? Therefore there is no filling loop etc and no pressure gauge?

It just fills from a tank above the hot water tank in my picture, and so after drianing the system, when I turn the water mains back on it will automatically fill the water to the right pressure?

I don't want to drain it down, after turning of the stop cock, and then not get it going again :).

Thank you both for your replies.

Before I drain the system down, I just want to confirm that my system is what I think we call an open vented Promax HE Plus? Therefore there is no filling loop etc and no pressure gauge?

It just fills from a tank above the hot water tank in my picture, and so after drianing the system, when I turn the water mains back on it will automatically fill the water to the right pressure?

I don't want to drain it down, after turning of the stop cock, and then not get it going again :).

Can anyone confirm the above please?

Em, I wonder if anyone looked at the pics including BG.

A better pic showing the pump in situ would be good.

Is there a brand name on the store.

Hi Doitall,

Thanks for the reply.

BG were the ones who took the old pump off so they saw the pump.

Pictures attached. I just want to make sure that if I drain the system down with a pipe and claing mains it will refill once I open the mains again?

Pictures added showing the store and the new pump in place by the store.

having a read, I think I can add the x400 to the top tank in the green storage and that will circulate it?

Hang on...

This is a thermal store or sludge bucket as we call them!

It will have a volume of perhaps 220 li and so the X400 dosing will need to be three bottles!

X400 is best left in for at LEAST six weeks!

Then the system needs to be drained and then THREE bottles of X100 added.

Must be the first time a BG engineer has not requested a power flush!

Tony Glazier

:)

Thanks Tony.

I am right in thinking to add the X400 I need to

Turn off the mains.
Drain some water from a radiator and close radiator drain tap.
Add the X400 in the top of the green store (which is a smaller open tank on top).
Turn the mains back on.

Leave for several weeks.

Then drain the whole system and add X100 in the same way to the top container of the green store.

BTW, is the main store the hot water store?

No...

You don't seem to have understood what we are telling you!

You need to fit a magnetic filter!

Then you need to add THREE cans of X400. Then you need to set the heating on and drain off about 8 litres so that the X400 in the header section is drawn into the store. Then leave in place for at LEAST six weeks during which time you are regularly emptying the mag filter.

The heat in the store is used to heat the hot water but they are separate water.

Tony

No...

You don't seem to have understood what we are telling you!

You need to fit a magnetic filter!

Then you need to add THREE cans of X400. Then you need to set the heating on and drain off about 8 litres so that the X400 in the header section is drawn into the store. Then leave in place for at LEAST six weeks during which time you are regularly emptying the mag filter.

The heat in the store is used to heat the hot water but they are separate water.

Tony

Sorry!

I have just given myself a slap in the face and a kick up the a ss. And then read the installation manual online for the Albion store.

I think I now understand....

I have a direct system where the boiler is heating the water in the store. This water then runs around the radiators.
There is a seperate coil for the the hot water for the taps.
The feeder tank (integrated on top of the green store) feeds water into the tank and therefore, the boiler and the radiators.

Correct???

So I can add the X400 direct to the feeder tank in the green store and drain 8 litres to pull it in. And I need a magnetic filter.

Now where to install the filter? I have taken pictures of the radiator CH side of the store. There is a spur on top of the green pump, can I install the filter onto that (circled red)? Is this spur pipework 15mm?

Really guys, thanks for your adive, I am not stupid and once I understand the system I will be fine :).

Its normal to fit the mag filter to the return to the boiler.

But its not very critical.

On the inlet side of the pump would be good but its probably going to be more dictated by where there is space for it.

Also perhaps by where existing valves enable it to be fitted without having to drain all of the store.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back