No joist under floorboard? How to support?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So abit hard to explain, hence why I included pictures lol

I have a floorboard which a random piece of it has snapped off and I'm sure it's because there was no actual support underneath it in the first place. It's an awkward shape and location where it is because it is essentially a full board which looks like it's been cut around a brick wall.

20230815_110942.jpg
20230815_110952.jpg

20230815_111006.jpg

20230815_111013.jpg

The rest is actually very secure it just seems like it is this small rectangular piece that has snapped under what I assume was just walking pressure. Which I'm glad it has happened now before carpets have been put on top.

There isn't a joist running underneath it so I've got nothing to fix to if I just replace that part. I did think about finding the 2 closest joists and making a cross section right in the middle to support it but that would require alot of effort cause I'd have to cut into numerous existing floorboards just to find the adjoining joists.

Thought I'd ask here to see if there is an easier but secure method I could solve this problem, thanks in advance for any advice given

Sponsored Links
In these situations you usually fit a cross batten at 90 degrees to the run onto the two adjoining boards that sits under the bad one to give it support, effectively providing an underslung bridge if that makes sense.

In these situations you usually fit a cross batten at 90 degrees to the run onto the two adjoining boards that sits under the bad one to give it support, effectively providing an underslung bridge if that makes sense.
Ahhhhhh ok I kinda get what you mean. I guess the only requirement for that would mean I only have to cut into / remove the 2 adjoining boards? But then when I think about it in my mind, I kinda need to keep the 2 adjoining boards in place in order to attatch the Crossbatten to? Haha

Remove the small broken piece of floorboard. Get a batten which will fit into the gap where you removed the broken piece. Turn the batten through 90 degrees and clamp it to the floorboards on either side of the gap. Screw through the floorboards on either side of the gap into the batten which is now underneath them. Screw the broken piece of floorboard onto your new batten. The batten wants to be as big as possible to offer support but small enough to fit in the hole without removing any more boards.

Sponsored Links
Remove the small broken piece of floorboard. Get a batten which will fit into the gap where you removed the broken piece. Turn the batten through 90 degrees and clamp it to the floorboards on either side of the gap. Screw through the floorboards on either side of the gap into the batten which is now underneath them. Screw the broken piece of floorboard onto your new batten. The batten wants to be as big as possible to offer support but small enough to fit in the hole without removing any more boards.
Ahhhhhh I gotcha, so in essence it would kind of look like
20230815_111040.jpg

Battens are red and screw positions are blue

Wondering if I can use like a plasterboard type fixing whereby it's kind of like a wall plug that opens up once tightened. That would I guess also provide some upward pressure but that'd be really hard to do since I couldn't see from the other side what is happening or be able to keep the fixing attatched once it has to go into the floor lol

But yes this sounds like the best idea

Wondering if I can use like a plasterboard type fixing whereby it's kind of like a wall plug that opens up once tightened. That would I guess also provide some upward pressure but that'd be really hard to do since I couldn't see from the other side what is happening or be able to keep the fixing attatched once it has to go into the floor lol

No, use wood screws (maybe 2" long) into the new piece of timber you are screwing into, two at each end if possible. You may need to have something to pull the new piece of timber up, whilst your screws begin to bite - a G-clamp, bit of rope or similar will do that.

No. Just use 4.5 or 5mm wood screws - 2 on each side.

Edit: Sorry Harry, missed your post

If there’s a brick or block wall under the opening just build up with timber batten and screw through into the brick

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back