no light coming on after bit of a flood..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier in the year (may), i hit a radiator pipe on the upstairs alot of water flowed into the walls and also downstairs (via electric light switches) I cleared up as much water as i could and let it all dry out (light switches where taken out from the wall). A lot of the water flowed towards the front of the house and towards the porch area.

Ever since then the light in the porch it doesnt come on (light switch is in the hall way, the other ones on the 3 way are ok)

When its set to switch on, i get a small shock in the kitchen switch (from the screws, this is the only room in the house where i get the shock) i know to turn it "off" as such.

I have took offthe bulb, undone the plastic bit on the ceiling and left it to dry since may (was told it may help)

In summer time the porch is a real hot room, and i thought that would help.

Still now when i put in a lamp (working one) and turn it on it still wont go on.

Any ideas what to do next?

Sponsored Links
The shock is worrying. Open the switch and check connections, with the power off. Check there is an earth there too, and it is connected to the backbox..

yes sorry should have said that already,

All wiring (kitchen/hall way/upstairs hall way /living room) has been checked out. all is fine.

When the light switch is on, its only the kitchen one where i get a shock (ie not from the light switch when i switch on to the porch area)

All cabling is earthed (has an earth cable in the box attached to metal bit in the back of the switch and switch socket)

nickcardwell said:
...All wiring (kitchen/hall way/upstairs hall way /living room) has been checked out. all is fine. ...

Evidently not.

Sponsored Links
You really need to strip the circuit down into its component "legs" and IR test each one to find out where the problem lies.

You should not be receiving any kind of shock if the cpc is fully and effectively connected along its length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back