No lintel (1930s house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading and learning from it for a while, so thanks!

We have a failing/missing lintel above a upvc kitchen window in a 1930s property and are looking to have it repaired. The brickwork was apparently previously supported by timber frames on the windows of these houses, and now that it's been swapped out (by the previous owner), it's dropping (see pic).

My question is about what might be behind the exterior wall, being a cavity wall n all. The floor in the room above this window has bowed a little and the floor tiles have cracked along the deflection point above the middle of the window....There is also a crack on the ceiling roof of the kitchen along the same line. Does anyone know if there will be an internal timber lintel in the cavity wall that supports the joists (they run back to front of the house, so along the same deflection point)?

It may be that we'll not know what's behind the exterior until it's exposed. I'm just wondering if the cavity wall may have also dropped behind the outer.

The bowing may also be caused by potentially unsupported timber stairs downstand opposite the window, which local builders have said used to have a supporting cupboard beneath (see second pic).

Any advice welcome!

Onion.

Attachments

• kitchenwindow-outside.JPG
    kitchenwindow-outside.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 262
  • kitchen ceiling - downstand.png
    kitchen ceiling - downstand.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Highly likely a timber lintel on the inner skin. If the stairs are on the opposite side of the kitchen then isn't it more or equally likely the joists have deflected?
Assuming timber lintel is in good condition when you open the outer skin you could just take a chance that it's done it's deflecting, or reinforce it with a nice steel flitch plate to be on the safe side.

Highly likely a timber lintel on the inner skin. If the stairs are on the opposite side of the kitchen then isn't it more or equally likely the joists have deflected?
Assuming timber lintel is in good condition when you open the outer skin you could just take a chance that it's done it's deflecting, or reinforce it with a nice steel flitch plate to be on the safe side.

Thanks cdbe. Yes, that’s a good shout and I think that’s likely too. Only trouble is that the downstand opposite the window is tied to a stud wall above, so I don’t know if fixing the lintel issue and reenforcing the timber on the other side will solve it long term. One way to find out I suppose!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back