No Loft insulation - flat built in 2011 - is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have purchased a 2 bed flat in Winchester this year in February built in 2011.

The flat is on the second floor, which is also the last floor, that means I have the roof on top of my flat.

The kitchen and living room area are under a pitched roof, so the ceiling flows that design.

In the rest of the flat it has flat roof, and the ceiling follows that design.

I was inspecting a bad odour coming from the ceiling, and I called a plumber to check for issues with the waste pipe. The plumber commented that I had zero insulation from the roof to the flat, and said that he had never seen anything like that before!

Is it mandatory to have a minimum level of loft insulation? If so since the house was built 5/6 years ago is the leaseholder/builder responsible to rectify?

By the way the flat is very warm during hot days and cold on cold days.

Many thanks

Lucio

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
For such a new built it sounds like they should have included insulation although not sure what the building regulations actually say on this matter.

Talk to the flat management company to find out more. Also ask them for the relevant flat documentation pack for owners, it may say something on the matter. If it was meant to have insulation then this should be covered and thus rectified by the developer as it falls within the 10 year NHBC new built guarantee.

As a side note: I assume you didn't have a survey or report done on the property before buying? This is one of the things that should have been mentioned I reckon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back