No more ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any experience with a tile backer board for floors, the one i've seen is called 'no more ply'.

I normally overboard with ply but this stuff is like a cement board, very rigid, you glue then screw as with ply.

The good thing is its only 6mm thick, the bad thing is its about £14 per sheet. I'm thinking of using it rather than 12mm ply.

Any thoughts..............

Sponsored Links
Used it a couple of times,easy enough to use,laid the boards on a skim of adhesive then screwed in place.

First time used was about 6/7 months ago and no probs when went back a few weeks ago,no cracks in grout and tiles all still soundly fixed.

Mine still ok after 6 month over 22mm MR chipboard. :D
When you run the bead of adhesive between board edges let it squeeze out and dry. Once set trim with a stanley blade. Its a bugger to remove while soft. ;)
Also the supplied screws with drill point ends tend not to pull down well in chipboard. I used gyprock screws with pre drilled holes in NMP with better success. Buy the TG cutter from them. Delivery is expensive. I seem to remember a conflict between the NMP instruction and BAL adhesive instructions regarding priming, I decided to use BAL APD. I am a DIYer so let someone else clarify my advise please.

Thanks for you replies lads, I'm going to use the nmp as the customer wants as little rise in floor level as possible.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
how exactly do you fit these backerboards?? when i was speaking to the guy in the tile shop he said just screw them down to my floorboards! but now i heard you have to use adhesive to fix them then screw. is this the better way or does it not matter?? do you also have to leave a gap between the boards for expansion?? if so do you then fill the gaps with anything??? cheers guys

how exactly do you fit these backerboards?? when i was speaking to the guy in the tile shop he said just screw them down to my floorboards! but now i heard you have to use adhesive to fix them then screw. is this the better way or does it not matter?? do you also have to leave a gap between the boards for expansion?? if so do you then fill the gaps with anything??? cheers guys

Backers onto floor boards I dry postion and cut them first then mix up some flexi rapid set adhesive 3-6mm notch depending on how uneven the boards are.Skim the floor and lay the boards.

Once all down screw in place at 200mm centres,the adhesive is more to take up any uneveness in the floor than to stick it down.

Leaving a couple of mm gap is fine as you will tile over it anyway.

Backers onto chipboard same process just that the floor is generally a lot flatter to begin with so usually only a 3mm notch required.

No more ply have there own adhesive for a silicon type gun.
http://www.nomoreply.com/pdf_files/no_more_ply_01.pdf

Hardibacker requires to be bed in tile adhesive on ply and joints taped and screwed etc.
IMO a lot more work.
http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/pdf/backer-install-us.pdf
Tops Tiles told me it was ok just to screw them down. You decide.

I went for NMP.

in my house the floorboards are suprisingly very level so would it be ok just to screw the boards straight down on top of the floorboards??

you can Liam as long as your floorboards are soundly fixed

I'm going to be fixing No more ply to concrete block walls. Planning to dot and dab with tile adhesive - not sure whether I also should attach with screws too? If so, what kind of screws?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back