No power to boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow-worm Micron boiler situated in my garage without power. There does not appear to be any power going to the boiler and I can’t locate the source. Everything else in the house is powered which leads me to believe the boiler is on a separate circuit.

I’ve changed the fuse on the boiler pcb and the 3amp on the FCU. The consumer unit has not tripped and I have no idea where the source of power to the boiler might be coming from. A voltage meter to the FCU showed no power.

Any ideas? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Garage should be on its own circuit with an RCD protecting it. Check for a separate DB for the garage and reset any RCDs that you have that "could be" feeding the garage.

You may have to do the whole system for the property which means resetting any clocks on appliances.

That's the best I can suggest without actually being there and familiarising with the setup.

Another possibility, if you reset breakers/RCDs and get no joy, is that the circuit has been broken through a loose terminal or mechanical interference somewhere!

Were you doing any shifting around of stuff in the garage or doing any garden work yesterday?

Hi thanks for replying.

The circuit may have been broken. I had been trying to fit a wireless thermostat so it’s probably something I’ve done no doubt.

Any suggestions to how I could check if the circuit is broken and how to find the actual break?

Re the garage being on its own circuit everything else in the garage is working apart from power to the boiler.

I’ve reset all RCD’s with no success.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Are you checking the supply terminals at the FCU, not the load?? If so and there's no power then you need to trace the cable back from the FCU to where it takes it's feed from to find where it's being interrupted.

I'd be very careful how you proceed... If you had power and have been tinkering you could well have a hot live lurking around in the garage and without knowing which circuit breaker supplies it, and therefore how to isolate it, you're taking a risk!

I’ve changed the fuse on the boiler pcb and the 3amp on the FCU. The consumer unit has not tripped and I have no idea where the source of power to the boiler might be coming from. A voltage meter to the FCU showed no power.
Employ a lecky before you kill yourself,or someone else.

Thanks for your concern. I have a heating engineer coming out next week.

That’s my problem madrad I can’t locate the FCU feed although one would assume it’s going to the Consumer box.

I wondered if it’s the actual FCU that’s fried? It’s going to be straight forward whatever it is.

The engineer that checked the supply terminals to the FCU was having some problems with his equipment. It probably needs checking again to be certain there is no power, which leads me to question the FCU unit itself.

The engineer was at my home doing a different job but had a quick look.

Multimeter on the supply side of the FCU will tell you if the feed is live to that point but it won't tell you if there's a break upstream.

Being in a garage, I'm surprised you can't trace the feed cable to the FCU back to a junction box to determine that it's on the same circuit! Surely all your cabling is surface run in the garage, no?

The cables from the FCU in the garage go into the cavity wall and disappear. One would assume they go directly to the consumer unit but it’s difficult to see where.

There is a breaker for the central heating so I suspect it’s that. Just odd it hasn’t tripped. There is also a thermal store boiler upstairs which has power and fine. I guess the FCU must have fried?

I need to get myself a multimeter and check the supply like you suggest.

Thanks again.

That is where you should be looking, your boiler takes its power supply direct from the boilermate 2000 terminal 5 is neutral 6 is live and 7 is switched live, see if you have power at these terminals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back