Boiler has no power, no lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my boiler would often drop in pressure and my landlord showed me how to raise the pressure manually by turning the valve underneath, so I would do this and it was fine but a few weeks ago the power went off to the boiler all together, I assume so anyway as there is no power light and no lights come on at all. I have tried resetting the boiler by putting the dial to 0 etc but nothing happens and I have checked the fuse box in my house, there doesn't appear to be a switch for the boiler.

I have read online it could be the fuse on the pcb and I would like to check that but I have no idea how to locate the pcb, any advice to why there is no power and to where the pcb is located would be great. thank you.

Sponsored Links
Surely the boiler is not wired directly into the fuse box. It must have a fused spur or plug on the cable. Follow it back and see where it leads to. Is there anything near the controller?

1. It's your landlord's legal responsibility to keep your rented property warm and with a supply of hot water.
2. It's your responsibility to let him / her know promptly when there is a problem.
3. Fuses blow for a reason, usually something such as a faulty part causing an increased current flow.
4. The pcb will be inside the boiler, and in most cases only a gas safe registered person is allowed to open the boiler and access it.
5. Speaking as a landlord and a plumber, I wouldn't want any tenant of mine opening the boiler.
6. There will be a fuse, which should be a 3 amp fuse, not 5 amp or 13 amp, in either:
6a. The plug which connects the boiler to an ordinary socket. OR
6b. The fused connection unit attached (probably) to the ring main into which the mains cable from the boiler is connected.
7. If you are happy to do so, and understand the issues of working with mains electricity, you could try changing that fuse, but not the pcb one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys, I have looked in the cupboard under the boiler and found the mains plus and just changed the 13a fuse in the plug but still no power. I will call my landlord to explain, I was just worried with the current lockdown situation I thought I would wait until lockdown is over but as its been extended now I don't have much choice to get it sorted. I'm a bit worried my landlord will be angry I didn't tell them sooner.

Edit, after reading a second time I see it should be a 3 amp fuse and not a 13amp fuse, in the plug socket directly under my boler it had a 13amp fuse, maybe this wasnt the plug for my boiler then, its hard to tell as the wires lead behind my cupboard.

I'm a bit worried my landlord will be angry I didn't tell them sooner.
He might be angry if he finds you’ve fitted a 13a fuse and blame you if the circuit board has blown. As others have said, make sure there’s a 3a fuse in there before he comes round.

1. It's your landlord's legal responsibility to keep your rented property warm and with a supply of hot water.
2. It's your responsibility to let him / her know promptly when there is a problem.
3. Fuses blow for a reason, usually something such as a faulty part causing an increased current flow.
4. The pcb will be inside the boiler, and in most cases only a gas safe registered person is allowed to open the boiler and access it.
5. Speaking as a landlord and a plumber, I wouldn't want any tenant of mine opening the boiler.
6. There will be a fuse, which should be a 3 amp fuse, not 5 amp or 13 amp, in either:
6a. The plug which connects the boiler to an ordinary socket. OR
6b. The fused connection unit attached (probably) to the ring main into which the mains cable from the boiler is connected.
7. If you are happy to do so, and understand the issues of working with mains electricity, you could try changing that fuse, but not the pcb one.

After closer inspection I can see the plug at the mains for the boiler did infact have a 13a fuse in it, also it seems it had 2 wires leading to the same plug, 1 from the boiler and 1 from the cooker but that I think is just for the spark for the gas hob. Strange it had a 13a fuse in the plug, do you think I should put a 3a fuse in it? thanks :)

a>

The plug on the left has 2 wires leading into it, the white one goes to the boiler and the black one leads to the cooker, (just the spark for the gas hob) the plug is fitted with a 13a fuse and this has not been changed since I moved in, the boiler used to work fine and the spark for the gas still works so I assume the fuse is working. I don't get why it has a 13a fuse as the plug is for the boiler. Should I change to fuse to a 3a one and see what happens?

Edit, sorry the 13a fuse has been changed but I did that like 30 mins ago, I changed it from a 13a fuse to another 13a fuse to see if that helped but have since learnt that a boiler needs a 3a fuse ( it has always had a 13a fuse in the plug tho for some reason)

If that’s what it originally had, I’d leave well alone. Just to check, if you switch that socket off, does the spark for the gas hob stop working?

Your landlord is a naughty boy/girl. 2 wires into 1 plug is a fail on appliance testing, since it is kit landlord supplied then landlord is very much responsible.
But thats bye the bye, phone landlord/agent now, you have a right to a working heating/hot water system.

I couldn't resits and tried putting a 3a fuse in hoping it would work but still no power to the boiler. Nothing blew up tho so at least there is that lol. Will have to call the landlord. Thanks for the advice everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back