no power to controller panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone offer some advice on how to fix please,

I was in the process of changing my bathroom radiator for a towel rail and some water went through a floorboard onto a light switch below and blew the electrics. I waited and dried everything out and all seems fine now but I have no power to the hot water / CH controller.

At present I have the radiator removed and pipes capped so I can install the tile floor, ?
could that be it being I don't have a circuit in the heating pipes ( even though the heating is not on). could it be the system needs to be pressurised as I drained a radiator?

I have a Worchester Bosch Greenstar RI ( LPG ) and as no power to controller no power to boiler? I have checked the fuse in the main board all ok and also the separate fuse in the box to the controller all ok. How do I check the pressure if you think it's that.
Any help and advice appreciated.
Cliff

Sponsored Links
should have said this is a vented system with a header tank in the loft, Have just checked that and ball valve is working ok and tank is at the right level.
Also noted on some boiler instruction paperwork that this type of boiler e.g. vented deals with pressure automatically.

You have no power to the boiler. This is a matter for an electrician. How you think this is to do with the pressure in a vented system is beyond me. There is no pressure. It's a vented system. It fills with water and just sits there.

You say water went on some electric's. Did anything trip? Have you checked the FCU feeding the boiler for moisture?

Good luck with your cold bathroom. Towel rails are useless at heating a room.

hi thanks for the reply, when something goes wrong you grasp at straws, so my logic what has changed etc... etc...
I removed a rad , and water tripped the system hence my questions. and if you look I did after stating my question re pressure then quote back pointing out it could not be pressure.
Getting back to the problem : if anyone has any ideas, no water went anywhere near the boiler it has no moisture in any part of the electrics to it.
water dripped down in to a pull switch in the room below. That blew the electrics, this just tripped all electrics no fuses blew, all have been checked and all ok.
Separate fuse to the control panel in upstairs cupboard had no water near it and the 3a fuse to that is fine. all electrics are now perfectly dry, every single thing in the house works apart from power to controller and boiler.

Thanks in advance
Cliff

Sponsored Links
Yes, but you deal with problems like that using a voltmeter to trace how far the power is going.

Do you really still have fuses?

Most consumer units now have MCBs.

Tony

Hi Tony's thanks for the reply, yes my consumer unit has the cartridge type fuses. I removed all and checked everything for continuity with an multimeter. My control panel is powered by a fused spur 3a which I believe is common.

Use your meter to confirm if there is power at the spur (FCU) if not, then you have to keep going upstream from that until you find another fuse or tripped breaker. If there is @240v at the spur then check/replace the fuse otherwise it's downstream.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back