No power to garage anymore?

OK one thing that I'm not sure about is on the RCD it has a test button. I thought when you pressed that it is supposed to make the switch flick off. Is this correct? If so we have a problem because it doesn't. Does this suggest there is no power to the RCD?
Which RCD are you talking about? If you mean the one in the garage then, as has been implied, you wouldn't expect the test button to (currently) do anything - since the test facility relies on their being electricity available, and none is currently getting to your garage.

Kind Regards, John

Both RCD test buttons don't work. This is a bit worrying as the power to the first RCD comes straight from the electricity meter, no way of isolating it to look for a loose connection.

Sponsored Links
Both RCD test buttons don't work. This is a bit worrying as the power to the first RCD comes straight from the electricity meter, no way of isolating it to look for a loose connection.
As you say, that's a bit of a problem. If you are sure that RCD is 'on' (see my previous comments), then I can but presume that either the RCD has failed or else there is a loose connection in that RCD/MCB (or, possibly, at the meter end of the cable) - in which cases I think you're probably going to need an electrician to sort it out.

Kind Regards, John

Is there no isolator before the first RCD?

As others have said, it is best to get an electrician if you have tried turning the first RCD off and then on.

Also while at your own risk and only if you are confident, you could also check that the first RCD terminals are tightened up. Make sure there is no load while you do this and that both RCD's and any MCB's are turned off!

If this does not fix it and have no isolator before the RCD, then you will need an electrician as you will need to isolate the main incoming supply (i.e. mains fuse) to replace the RCD and to test the new one for correct trip times.

Are you 100% certain the garage power comes ( came ) from your house ?

I know of three cases where outbuildings were not supplied from the house to which they belonged and one case of a lamp on a street stop sign being supplied from the adjacent shop. That wasn't discovered until the owner of the shop had a new consumer unit installed.

Sponsored Links

I guess that you can see the cable that goes from the meter to the first RCD?

Can we see a photograph of the general arrangement.
This needs more detailed examination than randomly pressing test buttons.
To take this further, you are going to need a two probe test device (like a multimeter).

Otherwise, you'll need to get an electrician on site.

Can we see a photograph of the general arrangement. ... This needs more detailed examination than randomly pressing test buttons. ... To take this further, you are going to need a two probe test device (like a multimeter). ... Otherwise, you'll need to get an electrician on site.
It sounds to me that the OP already needs an electrician on site. AFAICS, if the test button on that first RCD does not result in it tripping, there can but be one of two explanations - either the RCD is faulty and needs to be replaced (although that is not guaranteed to cure the OP's problem) or else the incoming supply-side connections to the RCD, or conceivably the upstream connections of the tails, (which seemingly cannot be isolated) are loose. In either case, the OP really needs an electrician (if it is true that there is no means of isolation).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back