RCD not tripping? Mystery power off.

Hopefully you can see the pictures of the CU. The RCD that I use to reset the sockets when they fail is the one next to the big red switch. The socket MCB is to the left of it. The MCBs and RCD at the other end of the CU are all fine.

Sponsored Links
I'll check that tomorrow! It's raining and the outside lights are on a sensor - I don't fancy dancing around outside getting wet to make them come on.

Sponsored Links
Do you know when this board was installed, as as a side issue. NSB10 and NSB16 are on recall, when manufactured from a certain period.

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or.../electrium-miniature-circuit-breakers-(mcbs)/

The Wylex RCD does not have a mid/intermediate reset position.
If the OP is not confident enough to take the cover off the CU and investigate further (which is understood and acceptable). I would now advise an electrician is called and make them aware of the NSB 6 and 10s

One quick update.

This evening I only had a new laptop charger plugged into one of the sockets and initially they were all working but later on when I went to check the sockets were all dead again. Looking at the RCD I can see that the little window below the switch is now black and when the sockets are working (after a reset) it's red. The switch however remains in the same position.

BTW I bought the laptop charger after problem with the sockets started so it's not the laptop charger that's the problem.

So the switch on the RCD unit stays in the same place regardless of whether it has tripped or not?

That is faulty and needs replacing.

One quick update.

This evening I only had a new laptop charger plugged into one of the sockets and initially they were all working but later on when I went to check the sockets were all dead again. Looking at the RCD I can see that the little window below the switch is now black and when the sockets are working (after a reset) it's red. The switch however remains in the same position.
Your issue is not going to be resolved without the help of an electrician, you need to establish whether there is an internal consumer unit fault, a device faulty or whether you have an appliance/equipment fault. or possibly a combination of those.This would require removing the CU cover and some electrical testing.

Last edited:
Since window goes black it does seem it is the RCD tripping rather than a bad connection, the MCB and RCD are designed so you can't hold them on, so dirt could make lever stick, however I would air on the safe side and get the RCD swapped. Some boards will allow you to fit RCBO's instead or a RCD and MCB this means every circuit is independently protected, it would cost a little more, but would mean if for example you got water in outside lights then only that circuit would trip, worth asking the electrician if you can have RCBO's fitted in the suspect side, should it transpire that there is an earth leakage fault it would then cause less disruption and be easier to find. It will mean around £70 extra, but likely worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back