No power to garden shed after fuse fix

Hang on - I had assumed it was the mower cable you cut through - are you saying it's the cable supplying the shed?

Sponsored Links
You have two armoured cables in the garage, one is the supply, so its possible the other one of them goes to the shed.
Are you sure theres not another board or box in the shed with that black armoured cable in.

Both armoured enter/exit outside of garage wall but underground

ie. garage is at a lower level than house and lawn runs smack up to garage wall

So the cable from garage to shed runs under lawn and eventually pops up via a vertical pipe in the corner of a flower bed, from whence it runs in plastic piping to shed - where a fused and switched box (checked fuse) feeds pond pump and double socket

Sponsored Links
If you haven't already done so, that white moulded plug in the garage which goes up into the fuse-box, change the fuse in that and i'd put money on you finding that the shed power is working again.

As its already been said it looks like the original install was fine but its become a bit of a lash-up now with the additions over the years. I don't think it would take long to tidy up and probably looks worse than it is. It wouldn't take me more than a couple of hours and some new switches/sockets and conduit to tidy that lot up. Ask around friends and family to see if anyone can recommend an electrician. But change the fuse in that plug first!

Let us know how you get on.

All the best
Dan

Thanks very much - I hope that works - I'm stuck in work right now but will try that as soon as I get home.

Excellent forum

All -

Thanks for your help.

A new fuse in the rather dangerous looking plug dangling from the fuse box has fixed the problem.

I've got onto a pal who is currently training as a spark - he's promised to make it his first paid project once he's qualified!

So once again, thanks for the advice, bonus humorous chatter and finally the solution!

Seej

Cool.

Just to repeat. That plug is very very dangerous. If i were inspecting I would disconnect the supply to the shed and garage until it was rewired.

Basically, some numpty has wired the feed from the board and put it on a plug. This means that when you unplug it from the socket the pins are LIVE. One touch and good night Irene.

Please do something to prevent the plug being removed like get a bit of wood and screw it over the plug so it cannot be taken out of the socket.

No probs. I disconnected everything before touching it. If I could isolated the whole village easily I would have done!

Anyway - I've learned something from it and I'm grateful for the assistance - as are the koi, catfish and shebunkin

TTC

The plug is connected to the armour that feeds the shed, not the incoming supply. We now know the fuse was blown as replacing it has restored power to the shed, as it was blown if the incoming supply was wired to it then the garage wouldn't have had any power. The only reason i can think of why someone has wired it like this is to control the power to the shed via a switch, perhaps the armour used to feed a light fitting in the garden as seej has already said it comes out of the ground some distance from the shed, joins onto another cable and continues to the shed.

Anyway seej just to clarify its not overly dangerous as things are, just get your friend to look at it when he can and have him tidy things up.

All the best
Dan

In your pic the fusebox looks fed via a plugtop in a single socket, if it is did you check that fuse in the plug.

Hope its not a live supply out of the board with a LIVE plug on it, so be carefull.

If the plug is feeding the unit, and the fuse in it had gone, I'm assuming that nothing would work ... but the garage lights do

What is the plug for do you know, it may join to the wire going to the shed.

Thought you would have checked that Fuse Saturday.

Ah well - there ya go - I though it was just feeding the double socket, not the exterior power.

But then that's why I came on here to ask - you live and learn and I'm grateful for everyones input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back