No power to garden shed after fuse fix

Okay ... here's a pic of the guts of the box.

I'm a bit mystified myself about the function of the socket so I'll try and make some sense of it while you folks digest this.

View media item 15402

Sponsored Links
the mystery deepens. the grey wire bottom left - where does it connect? I see the earth is connected to the earth bar, but what of the live and neutral?

They appear to go to the live busbar, but IIRC, these wylex standards did not have any screws to terminate to a busbar (even so it would be a bad idea).

The fuse bases do not match the fuses.

EDIT:

Hang on, are they round black juntcion boxes??? In the bottom of the fuse box??? :eek: Pull them out so we can see whats what with these.

Update:

1. The socket under the fuse box seems to be a spur (?) from the box which in turn feeds the double socket below which is live

2. The light switch below the fuse box, and next to the single socket, shares trunking back into the fuse box with the single socket

3. There is one grey wire coming out of the top of the fuse box which feeds two striplights in the garage, these are live

4. The two black armoured cables: both exit the outside of the garage at the same point, but as the garage is on a lower level, earth/hardcore covers this.

One must connect to the house, underground and I can't see any entrance points for it in the house.

The other armoured cable runs underground, around 25' later is joined to a smaller gauge cable which runs into the shed. This whole length of cable, at least the part above ground is within decent trunking in good nick.

5. This cable enters the shed, where it feeds into a fused switch, which feeds: pond pump and one double socket. I've checked this fuse and its good to go.

So it seems to be between this shed switch and one of the three fuses that the problem lies.

Thanks

Steve -

The grey cable goes to the single socket which I'm thinking is to enable the extra double socket

Sponsored Links
its a mess.

But for now:

have you opened everything up to check connections?

Have you checked all fuses for continuity?

In the long term, I would look at stripping this lot down and wiring it properly.

I'll have t wait until tomorrow to unravel the mystery of the junction boxes as its too dark to do any more ... cheers

I'm a bit mystified myself about the function of the socket so I'll try and make some sense of it while you folks digest this.

Well stay safe. I'm sure those fish will be ok without their fountain for a night or two.

As Steve pointed out, junction boxes inside a consumer unit is just not done.

Do you know any local recommended electricians? They (electricians) start to get expensive (for good reason) when they have to spend ages pulling up floor boards and chasing in cables but I would have thought that as the wiring in the garage and shed is all visible you would be looking at a couple of hours to make it safe and give you some advice. (Obviously offer tea and biscuits and tell them it isn't an emergency so they can call round at their leisure)

Well stay safe. I'm sure those fish will be ok without their fountain for a night or two.

Filtration systems should be run 24/7/365 though, or else the helpful "yakult" bacteria start to decompose and/or die and turn toxic, which is all flushed into the pond when you turn it back on.

So you buy new fish.

They are much easier to buy, and much cheaper, than new people if the old ones have been killed by dodgy electrics.

And talking of dodgy electrics...
Steve -

The grey cable goes to the single socket which I'm thinking is to enable the extra double socket
It looks to me as if that grey cable goes to a plug, not a socket.

If so, that arrangement is commonly known as a "widowmaker", for very good reasons - they are truly dangerous and very scary.

Don't touch a thing - get an electrician ASAP - if the fish die then so be it, even if they are prize winning Koi.

Moderator 8 said:
I have inserted the pictures into your post for you.
Cheers mod. Any chance of a quick explanation how to do that? Do you just grab the individual urls and embed?
Oh look, JohnD - another illustration of just how easy people find it to use the picture hosting facility on this site....

So you buy new fish.

They are much easier to buy, and much cheaper, than new people if the old ones have been killed by dodgy electrics.
So your condoning the killing of innocent creatures now? Tut tut.

And talking of dodgy electrics...
Steve -

It looks to me as if that grey cable goes to a plug, not a socket.

If so, that arrangement is commonly known as a "widowmaker", for very good reasons - they are truly dangerous and very scary.
IMO, the grey flex appears to feed the JBs inside the CU.

Filtration systems should be run 24/7/365 though, or else the helpful "yakult" bacteria start to decompose and/or die and turn toxic, which is all flushed into the pond when you turn it back on.

Naah, who told you that? I've neglected my fish for days on end before and they've been fine. I'm talking about goldfish in a pond though, I don't know what sort of fish the OP has.

Seej: Ignore the friendly banter (and me), I'm sure your problem can be fixed.

In your pic the fusebox looks fed via a plugtop in a single socket, if it is did you check that fuse in the plug.

Hope its not a live supply out of the board with a LIVE plug on it, so be carefull.

I too was concerned about that plug, the later pic shows an Swa feed to the board, so bit of a mystery what the plug does.

Hey no worries guys - enjoying the banter.

Hoping the fish will be okay - pretty sure they will be - and they ARE expensive Koi!

Good spot though - that grey wire does go to a plug and not a socket.

That looks flaky even to me.

I will get it overhauled - but what is nagging me is why only one thing is failing to function

ie. Power from garage to shed

When lights, fuse wire, sockets are functioning and all connections are sound.

How likely is it for a cable to have burned out?

I've just been informed by Mrs Seej that this is the second time a cable was mowed through recently ... and it was fixed up without me knowing . Wonder if a second cable cut has caused more long-lasting damage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back