No power to the switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EBAE2865-2F1B-422C-91F7-E9909572444D.jpeg
Hi all.

i have been replacing switches in a couple of the bedrooms, and I have come across A sticky point with the current one. For some reason there are two earth cables into the switch, as seen in the picture. They are both going in to the same area of the switch.

I followed the exact same wiring as the previous box/switch, but there is no electricity coming through since I have changed it.

red is L
black is N

many thanks

Sponsored Links
What testing equipment are you using to confirm there is no power
( Voltage) present ? Can you post pics of the wiring at the back please.

View attachment 206811 Hi all.

i have been replacing switches in a couple of the bedrooms, and I have come across A sticky point with the current one. For some reason there are two earth cables into the switch, as seen in the picture. They are both going in to the same area of the switch.

I followed the exact same wiring as the previous box/switch, but there is no electricity coming through since I have changed it.

red is L
black is N

many thanks

Might need to take a better picture, the one above is blurred.

I’m just testing it using the lamp which is probably not the right thing to do?! I just imagined it would work as the same set up as previous

Sponsored Links
Pull it out more so we can see the entire back of it ,not just the top.

Do both of these earth cables need to go in the same terminal, or can one of them go into the other side of the switch as they are two earth terminals on the switch?

I’ve taken the earths out to gain easy access to the back. Both earth cables were in the terminal next to the L
6AD3FC2C-3293-486D-BA19-0A32F9CBC3A9.jpeg

Both earth conductors can go into the same earth terminal

Re check the connections of both neutrals and live conductors,ensure the copper is clamped not the insulation.
Check lamp works in other sockets ,to ensure lamp works on them.

great, thanks! The shorter earth isn’t an easy fit as the cable is short, could that one go in the terminal nearer to where it is?
The two together ( from both cables) is it those that do not reach ,or the one connected to the galvanised back box ( that's a flying earth that can go into either earth terminal of the socket)

Did the existing switch definitely work?

Wired up like this and it has worked, i must have tightened on to the insulation on the shorter cable

many thanks for your help!
36CCDEF3-7FF6-419C-B40C-8182C112F01B.jpeg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back