No RCD's on consumer unit..!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

Moved into my new house 2 weeks ago... put a post up a while back about my consumer unit and received some good info!

The consumer unit doesn't seem to have any RCD's, I have switches for

Up stairs lights
Down stairs lights
UP & Down main ring (one switch?!)
Electric shower
Outside sockets/lights (this has a separate single breaker, RCD protected installed in the garage)

The cables seems in good condition (Grey PVC coated, old red/black cores), lights and sockets earthed but not the light switches.

I'm not really sure where to start with the electrics, can't really afford a full rewire at this moment in time so considering the below options

EICR report? to set mind at rest with condition of the wiring is there any other inspection I should consider?
Change the consumer unit to ensure circuits protected by RCD?
Can I install metal light fittings as the lighting is earthed, how about the light switches which are not?

I have already started work in one room and recessed the surface mounted sockets, which makes one hell of a difference

Anyway, sorry for rambling and I hope the above makes sense

Look forward to any advice you guys can offer

Thanks
Dean

Sponsored Links
I fitted two RCD's feeding two old Wylex fuse boxes back in around 1992 so there are other ways other than fitting a new consumer unit. However note two fitted. When something goes wrong I can move items from one RCD to the other and see if fault moves RCD so finding what has caused the problem. You clearly can't do this with a single RCD. So in real terms if the fuse box/consumer unit is too old to take integral RCD's then it is time for a new consumer unit.

Can I install metal light fittings as the lighting is earthed, how about the light switches which are not?
Are you sure they are earthed, i.e. is there continuity back to the main earth terminal? If the lights are earthed, I'd expect the switches to be. If they're wired in conduit then the conduit provides the earth connection, but worth checking. If there's no earth at the switches then you cannot install metal switches.

Sorry, my bad, yes the switches are earthed... I hadn't fully removed the facias and the earth wasn't visible, once removed to replace it was clear as day! That's one problem down!

Sponsored Links
An EICR would, I hope, do that.

EICR report?
I would say so.

From your description, and the photo, you have an "installation of a certain age", and there's been ample opportunity for things to have got a bit flaky, or for uninformed fiddling to have done harm, etc.

to set mind at rest with condition of the wiring is there any other inspection I should consider?
An EICR will not involve an exhaustive test and inspection of everything. You can do some things yourself, such as looking at cables under floors, checking that all earths at lights and switches at least look connected, checking that al the MCBs are correctly labelled and do isolate circuits properly, in case you find things to direct the electrician to look at particularly closely.

Others here may well be able to add to the list of things you could do in advance.

AH, better with all of the information to hand.

At a first glance, the cable (that can be seen in the pic) seems to be PVC and probably around 20-30 years old. Cannot say what the rest of the installation is wired in, but if it is all PVC and about the same vintage then a REWIRE may not be needed. Personally, as advised above, get an EICR done and then you'll know what MUST be one and what SHOULD be done to get you safe and up to a reasonable standard.

Don't do any decoration etc until this has been determined. Have seen too many folks, who take on a new house, get the walls all nicely painted, new carpet down and only then decide to update the electrics……….

Thanks!

all the cabling I've seen (in the loft and under the floor boards) is the same, PVC with the exception of one cable which Spurs another socket... It's still PvC but grey rather than white (still has the old black and red cores)

Have decorated the one room for the little one for Xmas (but I recessed the surface mounted sockets and put conduit over so cables should be able to be pulled if needed) I'll hold off and start enquiring about an EICR before completing the next 2 bedrooms!

Thanks for the advice

The consumer unit doesn't seem to have any RCD's,

It has a main RCD which feeds all six outgoing circuits - To the right of the MCB's:

image1.jpg

There was a trend to wire the lights with an earth wire, and switches without. Circa 1960.

I suppose the logic was the lights could be metal, but no one bothered with metal light switches in a house in those days.

I think you should prepare yourself for a rewire before you decorate too much.

I have switches for

Up stairs lights
Down stairs lights
UP & Down main ring (one switch?!)
Electric shower
Outside sockets/lights (this has a separate single breaker, RCD protected installed in the garage)
I make that five circuits; is the sixth MCB spare?

And what does the old metal-clad unit feed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back