No RCD's on consumer unit..!

Sponsored Links
I wonder why was the immersion circuit left out of the RCD consumer unit?
It probably means it had faults concerning earth leakage issues or similar, and so was omitted from the new consumer unit...

I wonder why was the immersion circuit left out of the RCD consumer unit? It probably means it had faults concerning earth leakage issues or similar, and so was omitted from the new consumer unit...
Maybe because ...
The bill metal clad is labelled 'Immersion Heater' and according to the old thread, there is no IH
??

Kind Regards, John

Interesting, that BILL box. Obviously it served something else at some time (see the redundant cleats leading off).

Also, I am interested in the naff way that the earth is connected to the outgoing cable at the top. The cpc seems to have been separated out of the cable and seems to go into the main CU to obtain its earth. This may mean that the BILL metal box may not actually be earthed at all:eek:
If that is the case, OP, it needs some urgent attention as there seems to still be live feeds into it.

Sponsored Links
I wonder why was the immersion circuit left out of the RCD consumer unit?
It probably means it had faults concerning earth leakage issues or similar, and so was omitted from the new consumer unit...

The immersion circuit was left out of the RCD consumer unit because at that time there was no requirement for it to be on an RCD.

No doubt in the beginning there was a really ancient fuse box doing the electrics. Then an immersion circuit was added using a seperate board. Then the really ancient fuse box got replaced, and the immersion board was probably deemed good enough to stay.

The cables seems in good condition (Grey PVC coated, old red/black cores)
all the cabling I've seen (in the loft and under the floor boards) is the same, PVC with the exception of one cable which Spurs another socket... It's still PvC but grey rather than white (still has the old black and red cores)

screenshot_818.jpg

o_O

The cables seems in good condition (Grey PVC coated, old red/black cores)
all the cabling I've seen (in the loft and under the floor boards) is the same, PVC with the exception of one cable which Spurs another socket... It's still PvC but grey rather than white (still has the old black and red cores)

screenshot_818.jpg

o_O
That could just mean BG have spurred off something to install a boiler and have one point with Bl/Br. Not the best Mixed Colours sticker I've ever seen either!

BG could also have fitted the sticker if they replaced the electric meter. (A new smart meter is fitted below the RCD) Notice they have put their sealing stickers over the cut out. They put them everywhere on this install. Including sealing in a 5amp fuse carrier for the upstairs lights fitted with a 15amp fuse wire. o_O
Wylex stickers.JPG

Last edited:
What on earth was a British Gas person doing messing around with all that nonsense on the consumer unit?
British Gas employ morons who are told to do certain things, regardless of whether they have any understanding or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back