No real alternatives to fossil fuels ..

???
Calm your jets, it's a discussion forum not a knowledge board for postgrad students ;)
Sorry... mumble mumble.....brexit.....mumble.... immigration......mumble......university of life!....

Sponsored Links
Sorry... mumble mumble.....brexit.....mumble.... immigration......mumble......university of life!....
I get your general point but come on, if I say in a tyre thread that I read brand a is better than brand b, I don't necessarily think I should need to cite my sources.

quite form https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-how-electric-vehicles-help-to-tackle-climate-change
Different studies find different results
A recent working paper from a group of German researchers at the thinktank Institute for Economic Research (ifo) found that “electric vehicles will barely help cut CO2 emissions in Germany over the coming years”. It suggests that, in Germany, “the CO2 emissions of battery-electric vehicles are, in the best case, slightly higher than those of a diesel engine”.
There is contention around this topic in the media, but not much in academia. If you fudge the assumptions enough then you can make anything seem right. It's been happening for decades.
Is a Humvee cleaner than a Prius?
I’m shopping for new wheels and was considering a Prius. But one of my co-workers insists that the Prius isn’t nearly as green as Toyota boasts, due to the energy required to manufacture the car’s battery.
https://slate.com/technology/2008/0...etter-for-the-environment-than-a-prius-is.amp
Its a good read.

Depressingly you either have to pick a source to trust and hope they've got it right and others have it wrong, or need to dig through each study to see if they're being fair or trying to make EVs look better, or worse (because hydrogen!) or just sell more Humvees.

The IFO paper was a pretty dodgy example of these things. Which might be why it isn't available anymore, it was never peer reviewed, just put out by a think tank. https://www.transportenvironment.org/discover/electric-car-hatchet-job-debunked/

Edit: That link to Carbonbrief does an excellent job of tearing it apart.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Apply common sense along with the basic laws of science to the claims a source makes and from that one can decide if that source is reliable.
Or in other words.
or need to dig through each study to see if they're being fair or trying to make EVs look better, or worse
So sure, that.

It’s you hear about now

global warming
Carbon foot print
insulate Britain
Energy efficiency
Ashp
cut down on what you buy and eat

and all the populist sound bites due to this hot air show that is kicking off in Glasgow

all win win

no mention about down sides
Job losses
Hyper thermia deaths from ashp
Deep sea mining to get rare earth metals and the damage that will do

millions of batteries dumped

jeez us wept Goebels would be proud of the propaganda being touted around by the tree hugger mob :ROFLMAO:

Than you have these large companies touting there how they will be zero carbon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

another load of ball cocks

all they do is employ some company to plant trees some where to off set there carbon foot print :ROFLMAO: and than get a tax rebate for it

It’s you hear about now

global warming
Carbon foot print
insulate Britain
Energy efficiency
Ashp
cut down on what you buy and eat

and all the populist sound bites due to this hot air show that is kicking off in Glasgow

all win win

no mention about down sides
Job losses
Hyper thermia deaths from ashp
Deep sea mining to get rare earth metals and the damage that will do

millions of batteries dumped

jeez us wept Goebels would be proud of the propaganda being touted around by the tree hugger mob :ROFLMAO:
You forgot flying less.

Cost of flights to rise as Rishi Sunak prepares to raise air passenger duty
Exclusive: chancellor to boost green credentials by hitting environmentally damaging long-haul flights

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...hi-sunak-prepares-to-raise-air-passenger-duty

You forgot flying less.

And buying / having less. Everything has to be transported. Remember food miles!
It's pretty big, 16% or so:
https://ourworldindata.org/emissions-by-sector

Cargo ships would be greener if they used LPG as fuel, which is being worked on.
An interesting little chart, even if it is produced by a shipping engine mob:
upload_2021-10-23_3-18-26.png

(surprised by "big van") https://mwtruckparts.co.uk/what-fuel-economy-mpg-does-a-lorry-get

https://www.stg-online.org/onTEAM/shipefficiency/programm/Clausen.pdf

That's what has been done for ages on carbon capture, it's had huge amounts of subsidies for decades now and has not yet made it to an economical state. There is one plant in Iceland that sucks CO2 out of the air and it is expensive to run, very expensive. We've just announced another batch of subsidies for some more trials and development of carbon capture.

Whilst that's happening, Renewable power is now cheaper than fossil fuels, EVs are cheaper to own and run than ICE vehicles and produce less CO2, and less PM2.5, NOX, etc, etc. They're also dropping in price every year. Petrol and diesel cars are going to disappear in the future because they'll just be too expensive.
I can't see some form of internal combustion driven vehicles or home heating ever disappearing because it is going to be totally unrealistic to imagine that the infrastructure to support electric alternatives for them will ever be available for the for the foreseeable future. This is what makes me think we should approach the problem from a different direction. If carbon capture is available ( something I know nothing about ) then that is the sort of thing that should be pursued. I believe that there are other polutants of concern which the same research into them should be done.

can't see some form of internal combustion driven vehicles or home heating ever disappearing because it is going to be totally unrealistic to imagine that the infrastructure to support electric alternatives for them will ever be available for the for the foreseeable future
For EVs, what infrastructure do you think is needed that can't be built? We're not talking about a complete switch overnight so every vehicle on the roads is electric tomorrow. It's probably around 4-10 years before the majority of cars sold will be EVs, then another 15 years or so for the old cars on the road to fall apart and get scrapped. And even then there will be some hold outs who are willing to raid chip shops for oil to keep their bangers running.

It's not like we're trying to roll out some madcap hydrogen network that doesn't exist. It's just incremental increases and changes to existing infrastructure.

For EVs, what infrastructure do you think is needed that can't be built? We're not talking about a complete switch overnight so every vehicle on the roads is electric tomorrow. It's probably around 4-10 years before the majority of cars sold will be EVs, then another 15 years or so for the old cars on the road to fall apart and get scrapped.

How quickly do you think the electrical infrastructure can be built to support such a mass move to EV's? Add to that, it will need to also support electric heating of buildings.

Sponsored Links
Back