No satellite signal in new communal system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A family member just moved into a brand new block of rental flats. The lounge is wired for Sky + / satellite.

I made up a 6meter satellite lead using Sky branded cable and connecters, but no signal is found. I tested out my cable with a multimeter and there are no short circuits (I've made loads before so I didn't expect this to be the issue).

I also didn't get any tingle from the cable when it was plugged in, which I usually do with communal systems.

What other testing can I do? I have a sat finder, if I connect that to the socket, should it show a signal, or does it not work this way with distributed systems?

We want to be sure its not a receiver / wiring fault before contacting the landlord company, as if it isn't a system fault they will charge.

Thanks!
Tim

Sponsored Links
Remove the socket from the wall and see if there are any wires connected - it's not unknown for such things to be screwed to the wall without actually being connected, either due to people rushing at the end of a build, or morons forgetting to install the cabling in the first place.

The satfinder should work as normal. However, if it's the cheap type, it will display a reading just from a length of coaxial cable that isn't connected at the head end!

Still, if it displays no signal, that would be a useful clue.

Best way to test is simply with a known working Sky Digibox.

Thanks guys,

I did actually check behind the plate, and it was connected. Another TV point which I assume is a link to the bedroom is not connected though!

My sat meter is a cheapy one. I will try to get another known working box (not mine, its was too neatly installed!)

Sponsored Links
Speak to the neighbours ?
If one has a working satellite system (can be freesat, doesn't need to be Sky) then see if they'll let you either a) test your equipment on their outlet, or b) test your outlet with their equipment.

Short of having expensive test gear, the easiest way to test is to substitute known working equipment.

Is there a managing agent or caretaker for the building? You might need to ask them to activate the outlets in your flat if they are not all connected by default, its also possible the system hasn't yet been commissioned if your one of the first to move in.

I also didn't get any tingle from the cable when it was plugged in, which I usually do with communal systems.

Well you shouldn't. Communal systems should be earth bonded by law.

EDIT. Actually thinking about it again the tingle is probably from your satellite box and the system is earth bonded.

What you shouldn't do is connect the cable with the satellite box plugged in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back