No sill under bifold doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in currently in the process of arranging to get my bi fold doors ordered. I did drop the threshold but not enough to get a near flush threshold I want. The weather rates threshold is 85mm (25 MM being the sill) . Would it cause any problems not having a sill. I intend to have decking to step out onto. Directly under the threshold is the hight of my damp course . Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any water running off the door will track back under the door without a cill but I have seen them just masticed in so it might work.

^^ Not with a threshold strip or bar it won't, but it's risky, and the bricks or whatever on the threshold are more liable to chip and perish

But it's all down to the actual threshold detail.

Thanks for your opinions. How do you mean risky woody? What if I bitchumin paint the reclaim bricks that are under the bifolds / damp course. Here is the threshold details below. It will be exactly the same except no sill. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 448
Sponsored Links
The sill normally forms an integral part of the drainage. I'd recommend you look at keeping it, even if you lay a patio above it. My bifolds sit on a sill and I plan to form a drainage channel underneath the sill but build the level up of the patio to nearly match the inner floor level and have a metal drainage channel sit on top of the sill itself to provide continuity of level but allow any water tracking across the sill a path to escape to the drainage channel below

Bit of a bodge but how about something like this stuck onto the brick edge first http://www.eurocell.co.uk/trims-and...-angles/40mm-x-40mm-rigid-angle-in-white-x-5m

I think they also do a 45 x 65mm and possibly an 80 x80mm too, Only 3mm thick so shouldn't effect the height of your door.
Different colours are available too.
Maybe fit it on a slight tip (some packers on the back edge) so water will fall away from the door.

I've just had Bi folds fitted with a sill. I had the full weather rated threashold and whilst its a little higher (25mm step above floorboards inside) I'm going got raise the floor inside a little, since i'll be ripping the current floor out.

As previous comment, I was advised to have the patio raised over the sill so you still have a drip...and maybe put a drainage channel below the sill depending on the type of patio construction you are having.

I'm still not certain I'll build above the sill though as I'll have to have a drainage channel all around rear of house where patio will be as it'll be above the damp course....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back