no smoking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if i went to a pub i would like to be given the option to smoke even if i did'nt want to :confused: i disagree with people smoking when others are eating but what about a small smoking room with powerful extractors to get rid of the smoke?btw i smoke but if i knew that others don't like it i would respect their views and not smoke near them.wonder if they will ban smoking in cars next coz i think this is more dangerous than mobile phones :eek:

Sponsored Links
I am giving up smoking as of my birthday on the 3rd July (eek, less than a fortnight) - I'm doing it using the reasoning that 25 is halfway to 50 and I stand a better chance of getting the other half if I quit.

However, I still think that a complete ban on smoking in pubs is ridiculous - a good example is the Wetherspoon pub round the corner from my house. They have limited smoking to a small area in the top corner, and there is now a huge area full of completely empty tables and about 200 people crammed around 10 or 11 tables at the top end smoking. It's really quite comical to see!

And of course, even the non-smokers are packed in this area too, because it figures that if you're out drinking with a group of mates there's going to be at least one who wants to smoke!

if you do smoke just stop winging because the only person you are kidding is yourself.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
btw i smoke but if i knew that others don't like it i would respect their views and not smoke near them.:

I would say that 90% of non-smokers don't like the smell of cigarettes but it sounds like you still smoke when you are near to other people. If you are in a pub or anywhere else you should accept that at least some of the people in the same room don't like your smoke and if you really respect their views as you say you should not be smoking in pubs at all.
The sooner there is a total ban on smoking the better.

Sponsored Links
Totally: the reason people don't tell you that they don't like your smoke is because it isn't "the done thing" to tell someone this unless there is a big no smoking sign somewhere. Have you ever tried telling someone to put their cigarette out unless there is a sign?

Blanket ban is the only way to go. If people don't like it, they can stay at home and smoke. However, I would ideally like to see a phasing out of all tobacco products. What benefit does smoking offer? It tastes awful, smells disgusting, and gives people cancer. It doesn't even give you a buzz!

Where is the benefit to the user? At least beer tastes nice and gets you drunk, at least marijuana makes you feel mellow, at least crack makes you get... well, not sure what that does, but I'm sure it must feel nice the first couple of times. But smoking, you don't get any nice effects out of it. Please, can a smoker tell me what the benefit of smoking is? People don't even smoke in a cool way anymore!

Another thing: if we ban it, we can put an end to those silly tarts who stagger around clubs and pubs causing fag burns on clothing and skin.

Adam, just because you hate it doesn't mean it doesn't have a benefit, I really enjoy a cigarette now and again although I am not a regular smoker.

Petewood in the nicest possible way mate---you enjoy it because you are addicted and the addictive chemicals in the fags you dickhead !!!

What I mean is, do you actually get an effect above and beyond normal sobriety, or does it just stop you feeling bad?

With a couple of beers inside you, you feel merry and things seem funnier or more lovely than they really are. Same is true of most "recreational" drugs. But some, namely caffeine and nicotine seem to really just stop you feeling bad than to actually make you feel good, they just fulfill a craving rather than changing your state of mind.

Given the choice of a smoker and a crackhead, I would choose the smoker. But I just really don't see people smoking a fag and then getting happy. I just see people not smoking a fag and getting iritable.

Freddie said:
Petewood in the nicest possible way mate---you enjoy it because you are addicted and the addictive chemicals in the fags you dickhead !!!

I have probably smoked three fags since Christmas; how does this make me an addict?

And why do you have to resort to personal insults? In the nicest possible way or not?

AdamW said:
What I mean is, do you actually get an effect above and beyond normal sobriety, or does it just stop you feeling bad?

Two things from personal experience; when you smoke regularly you crave a cigarette when you have not had one for too long. Smoking removes the craving. When you don't smoke often, the flavour of the smoke is the enjoyable thing. Not everyone will agree with this, I have many times heard heavy smokers say that they smoke because they enjoy it but that was not really the case with me, it is a habit that is very hard to break.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
wonder if they will ban smoking in cars next coz i think this is more dangerous than mobile phones :eek:

Hmm.

I think there is a risk when you smoke while driving, but that it is not as great as using a mobile. When you use a mobile, your attention is distracted away from the road for longer periods, and while you are actually talking, your brain is trying to concentrate on two major tasks at once. One has to lose out, and invariably it is the driving.

When you see RepMan on the M40 in his 318 in the first lane, you wonder why. As you pass him, it is obvious, he is on the dog, and can only concentrate on his conversation when he has reduced speed.

I am a great believer in using mobiles responsibly in a car, ie with hands-free. But I don't necessarily believe that doing that is any more dangerous than getting into a deep conversation with a passenger, or having three screaming boys in the back (sorry, got carried away!!).

Have you ever been taking someone somewhere and been so into your chat that you have made a wrong turn? Your body is on auto-pilot when you are deep in conversation, and the result is sometimes that you drive the wrong way (maybe a route you do everyday) instead of the way you really intended.

petewood said:
AdamW said:

Two things from personal experience; when you smoke regularly you crave a cigarette when you have not had one for too long. Smoking removes the craving. When you don't smoke often, the flavour of the smoke is the enjoyable thing. Not everyone will agree with this, I have many times heard heavy smokers say that they smoke because they enjoy it but that was not really the case with me, it is a habit that is very hard to break.

Right as regards the personal insults i found out yesterday that my mate has been given his death sentance with the lovely knowlege that he has cancer of the throat-------lovely death--- you stink as your throat rots while you are still alive and die in agony or a morphine induced stupor, if your kids can stand the stench from your mouth when they enter a room they may be able watch you die.

As regards liking it ? well i am not here to say what someone can or cannot like but it is well documented that the fags are full of cancer inducing chemicals so could i ask you this----if you liked the taste of asbestos or cyanide or maybe lead---would you still have 3 snorts since xmas---------of course you wouldnt so grow up-------its all been said before

Sponsored Links
Back