old enough to kill but not for smoking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as from today you have to be 18 to buy fags but you can join the army be put in a war zone learn how to kill ,but you wont be able to have a fag while you do your duty :eek: :eek:before anybody ask's no i dont smoke and never have.
should we ban fags, hospitals would save 3 billon :LOL: but tax payer would have to find a further 7 billon to make up the tax :LOL: short fall , the streets are full with people smoking outside pubs so plenty must like smoking so why all the hassle is it a vote winner :confused: , shall we :let the smugglers make all the money as they do now on drugs :confused: or god forbid let people make up there own minds , :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
In a perfect world I've always thought that they should raise the legal age for smoking 1 year at a time every year, until it is legally phased out. It would take a generation for it to happen. The drug smugglers could then side step to importing dodgy ciggies and import less hard drugs, and eveyone would be happy (apart from the farmers in Afghanistan)! If only it were a perfect world ;)

In a perfect world I've always thought that they should raise the legal age for smoking 1 year at a time every year, until it is legally phased out. It would take a generation for it to happen. The drug smugglers could then side step to importing dodgy ciggies and import less hard drugs, and eveyone would be happy (apart from the farmers in Afghanistan)! If only it were a perfect world ;)

But nicotine is a hard drug!!

it will only be illegal for under 18's to BUY fags, the will still legally, be able to smoke 'em. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Has the law ever stopped youngsters from obtaining smokes? You see under age smoking almost every day.

You can see a woman naked and have sex with her legally at 16 but can't buy a jazz mag and see naked woman legally until you're 18. :confused:

tim 77, now i am old enough to do all those things you guys said but no girls will join me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: guess i will have to start smoking :LOL:

They said on TV yesterday that if you take up smoking in your teens rather than your 20s you will have a 3 times greater risk of lung cancer. Considering that cigarettes kill over 100,000 people every year it's got to be a good move. One in nine hospital beds is taken by patient who is ill by smoking. It costs the economy billions.

But what about the billions that smokers pay into the economy in tax every year?

You have to take in the big picture. The time off work from smoking, the dependents that are long-term benefit claimants when the bread winner dies, the huge number that become incapacitated by smoking and claim benefit for the rest of their lives.

Wish there had been a ban of sorts like this when I was a nipper. Might have been an incentive not to smoke. They used to give them away free at youth clubs in early 60's (bastrds :evil: ).
I'm just 15 weeks or so without a fag and it greives me to see schoolkids learning to smoke, knowing they will probably have to smoke till they are in their 50's like me before they get the message... Oh well spose best buy shares in British tobbaco :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back