No stop cock at boundary to property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all as the title says I am trying to do some minor work in the kitchen of a lady I know but am having problems with my stop cocks! Her house (very old) is one of two located on their own approx 50 mtrs from the main road, unfortunatly her stop cock under the kitchen sink is solid & won't budge, I don't want to force it, decided to isolate at the property boundary unfortunatly I can not find it so am now stuck? There is a waterboard isolation point at the main road but I am not keen to mess with it as if it goes wrong I will be footing the bill. Would I be able to ask the Water Board to come out to isolate so that I can fit an external stop tap to the property?

Many thanks.

:D

Sponsored Links
I don't see why not. they might charge, but some water companies are very willing to rewasher or replace stopcocks as it can prevent leaks and wastage.

If you freeze the pipe before the stop cock. Cut the pipe and fit a new stop cock. cut out the old one, and re confgure the pipe work , you wont need to bother the water board.

So why is it when i want to freeze the damn thing i have about 2cm to work with from concrete floor to stop tap bottom nut.......doh...hate that :evil:

Sponsored Links
Try to find the pipe when it enters the property. You may have to lift up some floor boards. It depends on how urgent it is . I don't know how long it takes for the waterboard to come out but it could take weeks. If you need to get on with the job. This may be your only choice. DUH. Depends on how much experience you have

Had a problem with the tap in the street being siezed last week, phoned United Utilities, told them a little white lie, that the stop cock in the house was leaking badly and they were out within an hour, but they couldn't isolate the supply either, so next day UU were out and replaced the tap.

Unfortunately it is in the middle of the next door neighbours drive and the crew to refill the hole hasn't turned up as yet

Thats good to know corgiman . They come out within an hour, Ill remember that next time im in a pickle ,and start lifting up floor boards all all over the place. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Corgigrouch corgiman i dunno. Its this san miguel stuff that cant spell or read. One off the two, or both . Nothing to do with me im blameless. :p :p :p

Thans for the replys folks, I think I may give the freezing a go, I was just a concerned that if had a problem with replacing the stop cock then I would up against the clock as it were!

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back