1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

No trims and sealant on newly fitted UPVC windows

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by Bewdy, 6 Feb 2016.

1. Bewdy

Bewdy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just this week I've had about 20 UPVC Windows fitted. All the windows to the rear of the property ( which we plan to have rendered) have not had trims or sealant fitted, only expanding foam. The installer says this is because the window reveals will be rendered. I'm not convinced.

Is it standard practice to leave trims and sealants off when follow on rendering is taking place?

2. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    Trims are just there to cover gaps or foam, if your rendering over gaps which you say have been foamed then there's no need for trims, I would recommend though that the foam is trimmed back and silicone sealed over to form a flexible seal as cement render isn't and doesn't stick to PVC too well if at all

3. Sponsored Links
  4. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can have the reveals rendered, alternative is to trim them out so the the render meets the trim for a cleaner finish.

5. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Assuming the gap where the foam is will be covered by the render then the installer is correct. There is no reason to add a trim if it will be covered. New houses don't have trims (That I have seen!), as the render finishes nicely with the frame. After the rendering is done though it's probably worth having the 2 joined with silicone

6. Sponsored Links
  7. DHFrames

DHFrames

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A trim to the head is probably required if already not sealed

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local