No voltage on second line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, my friend has never used the phone in his flat and has recently tried to get it connected as his neighbours broadband in the flat downstairs which he was sharing (the broadband not the flat) was frequently out.

The new provider said they would activate the inactive line but he had a try on the socket and there is no signal.

Opened the box - wire comes to his flat first before going downstairs - and only two wires are connected, for his neighbours line.

He tested the other two wires (there are also 3 yellows) and there was no voltage. Does this mean most likely a fault between pole and box?

Edit: currently awaiting the result of a line test by the new provider. Assuming this shows up a fault at termination in his flat will they then charge to fix? I guess if mr BT gets involved then denial of ever looking at the box will be in order. Which is fair enough since it was like this when he moved in :)

Cheers!

:D

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, my friend has never used the phone in his flat and has recently tried to get it connected as his neighbours broadband in the flat downstairs which he was sharing (the broadband not the flat) was frequently out.

The new provider said they would activate the inactive line but he had a try on the socket and there is no signal.

Opened the box - wire comes to his flat first before going downstairs - and only two wires are connected, for his neighbours line.

He tested the other two wires (there are also 3 yellows) and there was no voltage. Does this mean most likely a fault between pole and box?

Edit: currently awaiting the result of a line test by the new provider. Assuming this shows up a fault at termination in his flat will they then charge to fix? I guess if mr BT gets involved then denial of ever looking at the box will be in order. Which is fair enough since it was like this when he moved in :)

Cheers!

:D

Ignore the three yellows they are the strenghthening wires of the drop cable, there should be voltage 50v on the orange/white and the green/black should be spare.....guess its a new line fault and bt are responsible for everything up to the socket.....but yeah deny ever being in the old socket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back