No water from cold tap, until stopcock is turned off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have mixer taps in our bath. The cold tap was running very slowly and has gradually come to a halt with only a very small drip coming out. However, when we turn the stopcock off (thinking we might need to change the washer), this cold tap starts running, not quite at full pressure but certainly a steady stream. All of the other taps shut off correctly. We've left it running for quite a while in case it's draining a tank somewhere, but after 15 minutes it's still going.
Can anybody offer any advice please?

Sponsored Links
Only you know whats in your house!

As far as I am aware I have never visited you.

Tony

Forgot to mention, house was built 9 years ago and there have been no plumbing alterations done in this time.

Forgot to mention, house was built 9 years ago and there have been no plumbing alterations done in this time.
We could do with a bit more information about what plumbing hasn't been altered :!:

Sponsored Links
I mean that no plumbing work has been done at all since the house was built. I mentioned this in case anyone thought that perhaps some recent plumbing work had been done which had affected the stopcock or pipes, for example if a pipe had been capped off. No, nothing like this has been done.

Check your tank in the loft is filling up ok. Ball valve might need attention.

Only 9 years old - have you got a storage tank anywhere? loft/ airing cupboard. Would have thought a combi in a house that young :confused:

No, definitely not a combi. We have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

Now we have ascertained (possibly????) that this mixer tap is gravity fed on both inlets, I have absolutely no idea why turning off your mains water supply makes this tap's performance improve :confused:

could be the self-regulating back-flow return feed on the one-way pressure neutraliser, downstream of the feet pump. or not

very small drip coming out. However, when we turn the stopcock off (thinking we might need to change the washer), this cold tap starts running, not quite at full pressure but certainly a steady stream. All of the other taps shut off correctly. Can anybody offer any advice please?
Stopcock on the down service from the roof tank :idea: sometimes fitted - though should be a gate valve - anyway ,take the tap heads off- remove the tap body and see how well/not the mechanism lifts the washer and jumper holding it. A bit of water running out won`t be a problem ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back