Noggings in RSJ

Sponsored Links
I'd have made the noggins slightly larger than the flanges. Then you've got something to fix your bottom timber to, in addition to gripfill.
Accepted that makes the whole thing slightly wider, but the bottom timber is more secure, and the bottom timber prevents the noggins from dropping out.

The photo was just a stock shot not of what I've done.

The rsj is a garage lintel and it's already been set back by the depth of the timber facia and the maximum allowed overhang for the brick above, so I can't make the noggins stand proud of the front of the steel.

I will attach the bottom timber through the fascia timber to add a little extra strength.

I just needed to make sure that the noggins will be sufficient wedged without fixing through the steel.

The rsj is a garage lintel and it's already been set back by the depth of the timber facia and the maximum allowed overhang for the brick above, so I can't make the noggins stand proud of the front of the steel.

I will attach the bottom timber through the fascia timber to add a little extra strength.

I just needed to make sure that the noggins will be sufficient wedged without fixing through the steel.

Tip: Make sure you use dry timber. Damp stuff fresh from the timber yard can shrink and make the noggins become loose / fall out.
Simon.

Sponsored Links

Tip: Make sure you use dry timber. Damp stuff fresh from the timber yard can shrink and make the noggins become loose / fall out.
Simon.

Is that right....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back