Noise from GRP flat roof

Also watching this thread with interest. My build starts in a couple of weeks and I've specified a warm roof with GRP.

Question for all of you. Do you all have COLD roof or WARM roof construction?
I don't know what makes a construction a 'warm' construction. My roof used to have a felt cover. I think they took the roof back to the joists, under which there is insulation, and put on new decking. They had to use screws that were about a foot long.
February was an awful month, probably the noisiest month in the last 2 years. Yesterday the roof was painted with white paint.
I am hoping that this will make a difference, but I am not expecting it.
UselessMan

Sponsored Links
Hi ajs1954
Two weeks ago Everest painted the roof white. Unfortuantely we still have the same problem, with loud noises. The noise occurs during daylight and darkness, and is obviously caused by temperature changes. I have never figured out why the noise can be so loud, and what actually makes the noise. It can be like someone running over the roof.
I think Everest have run out of ideas.
Have you any success?
Does anyone with this problem have a plan for moving forward and getting it resolved?
There are at least 5 of us with this problem.
UselessMan

Hi Shedsman
Two weeks ago Everest painted the roof white. Unfortuantely we still have the same problem, with loud noises. The noise occurs during daylight and darkness, and is obviously caused by temperature changes. I have never figured out why the noise can be so loud, and what actually makes the noise. It can be like someone running over the roof.
Have you any success?
Does anyone with this problem have a plan for moving forward and getting it resolved?
UselessMan

Hi muks11
Have you seen my latest comment?
Have you any success?
There are at least 5 of us with this problem, in Hertfordshire, Sussex, Surrey, Leeds and Dorset, and I wonder where you are with the roof.
UselessMan

Sponsored Links
Hello Uselesman. Not yet - the work (to cut the upstands) has yet to be done. I will post a comment here when it has been and let you and others know what effect, if any, it has on the problem.

We have had a large flat glass fibre roof installed with a warm roof system underneath in February 14. The warm roof system is described as superdeck600 grp roofing sytem and comprises of approx 20mm thick insulation between boarding which is laid onto the stripped roof before the fibre glass is applied.
Since the installation we have had extremely loud cracking and banging noises coming from the roof when there is any temperature change eg sunshine on roof or cooling of roof in evening.
The roof fitter Evoseal of Hubberts Bridge, Boston have been back to install additional long screws into the roof and also have fitted an expansion joint. All to no avail. The roof continues to make very loud noises.
No one seems to know why. We did pick up some mention from the internet that it might be a result of the roof being fitted during wetter conditions. Has anyone any information about this? Before the roof could be finished with grp the weather changed and although the roof was sheeted we had water ingress into the room below. The roofer said the soft boards were dry when the grp was eventually applied but I am wondering if there might have been moisture there which is now causing this noise problem. Anyone any ideas?

My 'warm deck' flat GRP roof was completed only a few weeks ago, and I have noticed a loud banging noise coming from the roof over the past few evenings........as if someone is jumping about on it.

On reading this thread, I will be speaking with my builder asap.

Hi Ber99
Can you post any information you get from your builder regarding the noise from your GRP warm roof? Yes, I know exactly what you mean by the noise sounding like someone is jumping on your roof. That is exactly the noise we are getting. Was you roof installed when the weather had been wet?

Hi
My roof has continued to make loud noises despite everything that Everest has tried to do to fix it. They are coming again next month to rebuild the flat roof with the grp covering.
Have you are or anyone who can read this heard of a solution?
The problem is definitely caused by temperature changes, and nothing to do with wind. It can be really loud, and anywhere across the roof. It occurs in daylight and darkness. It sounds like damage must be occurring, but none is visible. When the roof was last opened there was no visible damage.
Venting the roof, and painting it with a reflective white paint has not helped at all.
If you have any knowledge of a solution I would appreciate it.
Please don’t ask me any questions about expansion joints, thermal expansion, thermal shock or slip joints as they mean nothing to me. The sad thing is that no manufacturer or supplier has provided an explanation or a solution. It is us who are suffering who have realised that it is a temperature issue.
I would appreciate any extra knowledge on this issue
Many thanks

My roof was fitted in perfectly good, warm weather. Today, Sunday 4th May, it has sounded like a number of people running over the roof, sometimes louder than others, and has continued through the evening. There seems to be a number of us with this problem, and no fitter/supplier seems to understand what it is.

In my first posting I said we had a 20mm warm roof, this was a mistake and should have been 100 mm.
The original roof was felt and was perfectly quiet.
To reduce the noise from the roof when it heats or cools, we wondered whether a sedum roof (a green living plant layer) on top of the GRP roof might be a solution.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
The noise from GRP roofs seems to be a recent phenomenon, but these roofs have been available for some years. Could the noise be due to the added insulation layer under the roof?
Any thoughts?
Are cold GRP roofs noisy?

I have done approx 20 grp roofs, nothing big but they have been cold roofs and I have not had any problems regarding noise.

Have you any success?
UselessMan
Yes - you said that 4 minutes earlier.

Have you seen my latest comment?
Have you any success?
There are at least 5 of us with this problem, in Hertfordshire, Sussex, Surrey, Leeds and Dorset, and I wonder where you are with the roof.
UselessMan
Yes - you said that 3 minutes and 7 minutes earlier.

Hello Fellow Sufferers. It is a warm day and my roof is making a lot of irritating noise. The supplier is going to rip off the roof and fit another one in the middle of June, but they don't have any idea as to what is causing the problem. From the information you have all provided, it doesn't seem to matter if it is a 'cold' roof or a 'warm' roof, or if there is an expansion joint or not. Most roofs do not have an issue, but there are 8 of us with this serious issue for which no-one has yet found a solution.
Do any of you have any updates?
I am making further enquiries, but so far have not found a case of this issue being fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back