Noise from GRP flat roof

If you are at a last resort/dead end with this noise then you can now buy artificial grass which you could be laid on your roof, it may be worth a try.

Sponsored Links
In my first posting I said we had a 20mm warm roof, this was a mistake and should have been 100 mm.
The original roof was felt and was perfectly quiet.
To reduce the noise from the roof when it heats or cools, we wondered whether a sedum roof (a green living plant layer) on top of the GRP roof might be a solution.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
The noise from GRP roofs seems to be a recent phenomenon, but these roofs have been available for some years. Could the noise be due to the added insulation layer under the roof?
Any thoughts?
Are cold GRP roofs noisy?
Roof Noise – Good News, problem fixed
My problem with noise from my grp covered flat roof has been fixed. The roof was rebuilt last week and there has been no noise since.
The materials used were the same. The major difference has been to reduce the amount of air space, and so the roof is 4 inches lower than previously. This has removed the need for the long screws. If I can get details of the fix I will forward them on. The problem doesn’t seem to have had anything to do with dampness, cold deck or warm decks, or expansion joints, and laying a false grass layer doesn’t seem to be a good idea. It seems to have been about the amount of airspace, what is in the airspace, and temperature changes. It is so peaceful suddenly.

How did you come to the conclusion that laying artificial grass does not help?

The major difference has been to reduce the amount of air space, and so the roof is 4 inches lower than previously. This has removed the need for the long screws. If I can get details of the fix I will forward them on. The problem doesn’t seem to have had anything to do with dampness, cold deck or warm decks
Except, of course, you wouldn't have had an air gap unless you had a cold deck.

If 100mm of that ventilation gap has been removed, how much is left? Is it adequate? How did the people who reduced it verify that it remained adequate? Did they give you any written assurances that their work complied with the applicable Building Regulations? Did they give you any warranty?

Sponsored Links
Just wondering if anyone found a solution to this. My solution was to put another layer of insulation on top of the Fibreglass and then some felt. That dealt with the noise but interfered with the draining of the water which gradually somehow penetrated the insulation and then the roof so I took it off. Now with this hot weather I am back to the loud cracks! I think the problem is exaggerated by the fact that the roof faces directly south... For now I am endeavouring to accept it... Would be good to hear if anyone has had any insights & positive outcomes.

From what I've read here it seems the only guaranteed solution is to remove the GRP roof and start again.

Thanks for the feedback but pulling it apart and starting again seems a bit too drastic for now though in more desperate moments I have considered it! This morning I came up with the idea of putting some decking on the top which would reduce the impact of the suns rays and therefore hopefully reduce the temperature fluctuations. It did then occur to me that the decking might make some noise but it would n't be in the cavity and therefore probably not so noticeable. I wonder if anyone has tried this approach? My builder is at something of a loss with this as he has n't come across it before. I think the issue is because it is a bit of a sun room and on hot days the sun really beams onto the roof... As I said my previous approach of putting insulation + felt on top did eliminate the noise but interfered with the way the water was running off and caused dampness so I have some confidence in my new idea which will allow the water to drain as planned as there will be space under the decking. What do you reckon? A plus is that I can do it myself.

Thanks for the feedback but pulling it apart and starting again seems a bit too drastic for now though in more desperate moments I have considered it! This morning I came up with the idea of putting some decking on the top which would reduce the impact of the suns rays and therefore hopefully reduce the temperature fluctuations. It did then occur to me that the decking might make some noise but it would n't be in the cavity and therefore probably not so noticeable. I wonder if anyone has tried this approach? My builder is at something of a loss with this as he has n't come across it before. I think the issue is because it is a bit of a sun room and on hot days the sun really beams onto the roof... As I said my previous approach of putting insulation + felt on top did eliminate the noise but interfered with the way the water was running off and caused dampness so I have some confidence in my new idea which will allow the water to drain as planned as there will be space under the decking. What do you reckon? A plus is that I can do it myself.
I can only tell you that my problem has been fixed, and I have a beautiful, and quiet, grp covered roof. It is 4 inches lower than the original grp roof (which replaced a felt roof).
I'm not technical, but here is the explanation I was given.
In simple terms, the new grp roof was built on top of the old boards. This is done sometimes so that it does not disturb the ceiling, possibly causing damage or cracks. The risk is that we must make sure that the screws have picked up the kingspan (foam installation) and the board. If this is not perfect, it may have be the cause of noise.
There is another type of installation and this is to sit the kingspan in between your joists and then screw the boards down. This is what has been done now, and is the most common installation (probably referred to as standard). You still get the insulation and we know that the boards will not move.

Thanks for that information. You seem to be saying you added another layer onto the existing roof which which is what I did a while back but dismantled in the winter storms because it was interfering with the rain running off and causing dampness. Yes, like you I found that enabled quietude to return but I dare not try that again because of the general layout and the way the flat roof adjoins the main sloping one. I am still thinking it through but I think if I keep the direct sunlight off the fibreglass that will help and is not a major upheaval. As an added plus it will also reduce the sound of rain on the roof... It is only a real problem when we have this glorious weather. Another sunny day here in Wales!

Thanks for that information. You seem to be saying you added another layer onto the existing roof which which is what I did a while back but dismantled in the winter storms because it was interfering with the rain running off and causing dampness. Yes, like you I found that enabled quietude to return but I dare not try that again because of the general layout and the way the flat roof adjoins the main sloping one. I am still thinking it through but I think if I keep the direct sunlight off the fibreglass that will help and is not a major upheaval. As an added plus it will also reduce the sound of rain on the roof... It is only a real problem when we have this glorious weather. Another sunny day here in Wales!
Best of luck. I was getting the noise at Midnight as the roof cooled as well as in the day in sunshine and rain. We have a grp roof at the height of the original felt roof. The grp roof was originally installed 4 inches higher.

I put the decking on the flat roof a few days ago to protect the fibreglass from the direct heat and rays of the sun in the hope that doing so would reduce the contraction and expansion and associated banging sounds. Results so far look promising. This is the second hot sunny day in a row and no noise. I did hear one crack at about 2 PM yesterday which may be due to the angle of the sun and the gap between the decking and the roof but only a minor issue that could easily rectified by adding another decking board. So I think this is a solution worth considering if one does n't want to take the existing roof apart. It was just a days work by me and the materials £250. If I have any further relevant information I will post as it is still early days in terms of assessing the merits of the procedure. All the best. Barry.

FWIW we got a GRP flat roof as part of our extension, completed late 2012. During the summer of 2013 we heard regular loud bangs of the sort described as the roof cooled down on hot days. The good news is that during (what passed for) summer 2014, we have heard no more noises, which suggests they were teething troubles that sorted themselves out.

The roof is 40sqm, warm design with no expansion joints, and it used extra long screws (200mm+?) to fix the OSB to the rafters through 150mm Celotex insulation.

Hi anyone ever found an answer this one ? Fitted a new cold, flat roof (36M2) on osb3 t&g with 600gm matting, light grey topcoat, expansion joints, creaks and bangs morning and evening. Thinking of maybe installing a living / green roof to hopefully solve the problem.

Based on my experience, I'd say give it a year or two and see if it settles down of its own accord, before doing anything drastic/expensive.

I've had the same experience with a 48 sq.m flat roof that I had re done with GRP, replacing an old felt one. The job was completed in the summer of 2013 & has made loud cracking noises since. Surprisingly over the summer months of 1014 the noises stopped, only to resume again in the late autumn & now through into winter!!! The builder & roofer who did the job have no idea re the cause of the problem, but it has been suggested (by others) that the T & G chipboard they used as bedding was not suitable for this job as it doesn't react well to temperature fluctuations as well as sterling board or marine ply. I'd appreciate any feedback on this point & any news from previous posters with this problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back