Noise from HW cylinder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a banging noise coming from our cylinder when the system is switched on to HW. Obviously the CH is not switched on this time of year. There is an immersion heater in the top of the cylinder but this is never used. The noise has become progressively louder over the last few days. Any ideas as to what is happening? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I cannot guess what the noise is!

Can you identify if its an unvented or a vented cylinder?

Are you able to take a photo andd post it on here?

Tony

Sorry, I do not currently have a digi-camera. But it is a vented system.

Kettle noise? or a banging noise? Is the noise just at the cylinder or does it occur around the boiler as well?

If you can get in the loft and check your F&E tank (the little one, not the big one) has water in it and that the ball valve isnt jammed.

Sponsored Links
I would describe it as a banging noise, actually. As I am away from home until Tuesday I will not be able to check the F&E tank beforel then. But thanks in anycase for the advice. I'll get back to let you know what I find. ;)

Boiler stat probably gone and getting too hot hope its turned off while your away

Boiler stat probably gone and getting too hot hope its turned off while your away

The boiler 'stat rather than the cylinder 'stat? Well if it's not the F&E tank then I will most likely have to get somebody in. The system was serviced in February but I suppose something like this can go at any time. Thanks, namsag...and yes, I did turn it off. ;)

Just to make a correction to the info that I provided earlier. The hot water side of the system is vented but the central heating side is not. There is a red expansion vessel near the boiler. Could this rattling that comes on from time to time inside the cylinder be the internal coil not being properly secured? The cylinder is on a different floor to the boiler, by the way.

Check the pressure gauge,you may find it near the expansion vessel,if its on '0' then the noise may be the prv operating,or the boiler overheating.

I have had a few faulty Honeywell mid position valves earlier in the year,that closed too quickly,causing a bang and a rattling niose from the coil in the cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back