Noise from the tank in the loft when water is filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not a plumber so pls treat me as a compete novice in plumbing.
My room is under the water tank in the loft, the tank makes a lot of noise when the cold water is replenishing. What can I do to stop or drastically reduce the disturbing noise?

Sponsored Links
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure those types of valve are only approved for toilet cisterns filled off a tank in the UK. Not for filling loft tanks from the mains. Looking at the link there is no mention of WRAS approval.

What kind of valve do you have at present?

Part 1

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-1/90110

Or Part 2

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-2/27627

On part 2 valves turning the plastic spout on top so it impinges on the valve / arm itself rather than just pouring into the water, can reduce noise to some extent. Just check that it will not cause splashing over the edge of the tank.

Sponsored Links
first thing is to look at the existing valve you have. Most often the noise is due to it being old and worn out. You can repair them but the time and effort is greater than fitting a new one. The Pegler Prestex Part 2 is a very good one and solid brass. It will probably last 100 years if you change the washer and cone every 20. If that doesn't solve your problem, start looking at other causes like unclamped pipes vibrating.

The Fluidmaster is a very quiet valve, it is annoying that the manufacturer's webpage doesn't say if it is approved for connection to the mains supply; although they imply that it can be used for tanks. It probably won't last 100 years though.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure those types of valve are only approved for toilet cisterns filled off a tank in the UK. Not for filling loft tanks from the mains. Looking at the link there is no mention of WRAS approval

You are indeed wrong, they're listed on the WRAS directory, approval number 1102083

Ta!

Weird tried 3 times before, went back on the same link and it came up :confused:

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back