Noise Reduction at windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

this is my first post, been lurking for a while and picked up some useful tips, but none directly answer my current problem, so here goes.

I live on a busy road and wish to cut down on the traffic noise (buses & lorries)
The flat is double-glazed however i get a lot of noise through the trickle vents. Also pulled off some of the plastic trim around the windows to find fair sized holes at the sides. What would be the best product to fill in the holes before replacing the plastic trim around the windows? was thinking about splurting a load of caulk in there but not sure if this is the best product for the job. Also about the trickle vents is it ok to block these up, say with expanding foam? or is there a better solution?

all help greatly appreciated the noise disturbs my sleep :(

Sponsored Links
expanding foam for the holes around the windows.

i wouldnt block up the trickle vents, i cant see how the vents would impact that much on the noise levels in your bedroom.

Sponsored Links
what u want to do is;

buy secondary glazing ( £ 200 - £ 250 ) this will cut down a LOT on the noise level

OR , a cheaper and BETTER solution ( though not cosmetically ?) is to build a wooden frame around the inner window , and fit 2 sliding wooden panels , made out of THICK MDF

if u can buy just the wooden frame from the secondary glazing people, then that will be the solution , use the frame, and fit the MDF instead of the glass ( that u didnt buy )

trust me, this will solve 95% of your problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back