Noisy 3 port valve, head or valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
My 3 port valve is getting to the stage it's starting to wake me up at night!
Sounds like this

From your experience is it possible to know if it's likely to be the head or the valve itself.

Obviously the head will be a lot easier for me to swap but just interested the most likely cause.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Mine makes noises like pipes expanding as they heat up, but it happens as soon as the system calls for heat and its quite loud so I'm also interested to know if it's the head or the valve? Is greasing them up inside a thing?

Sorry for the partial thread hijack :D

It's the valve head. There's nothing in the valve body that moves at a speed to cause that noise.

You could also test by moving the level manually to see if it grinds.

Thx I will change the head and see how it goes
I wondered if the valve was worn or tight this could cause extra force to the head making it strain but I'll see how I get on cheers

Sponsored Links
It's a worn motor/gearbox making that noise. The motor/gearbox can be changed, but often it's just as economical to change the whole head. It doesn't look like a Honeywell valve...perhaps a CentREbrand from the Plumb CentRE?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back