Noisy acoustic/intumescent gaskets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My joiner installed these around my FD30 doors.
The doors need to be pushed hard to close, otherwise they won't close. Also, when they open, they make a loud-ish noise like someone is removing a large sticker from the door, which is the plastic gasket detaching from the wooden door.
Is this normal? How do I rectify it? It's been over 2 years since the work was done.

Sponsored Links
No you shouldn't have push the door hard to close it and the advert you linked to says "outstanding acoustic performanc" so they shouldn't be noisy. Your problem would be with the length of time since they were installed.

How do I ascertain which gaskets I need? It looks like he put whatever he had. I do have a rebate in the door stop to fit them, and I could do this on my own.

The strips you linked to are for weather sealing, and are not for fire doors.

Smoke seals for fire doors are the brush type, or a specific rubber type.

Search for "smoke seals", of the size of whatever rebate the door/frame has.

Sponsored Links
The strips you linked to are for weather sealing, and are not for fire doors.

Smoke seals for fire doors are the brush type, or a specific rubber type.

Search for "smoke seals", of the size of whatever rebate the door/frame has.
These are supposed to be "acoustic" seals as well as weatherproofing, so maybe he put them based on that.

Do any such plastic gaskets act as intumescent seals whatsoever?
No. A draught strip as linked is not an intumescent seal unless it's specifically stated as such. However some intumescent seals can be draught (and sound) seals.

Also, apologies for calling these "smoke" seals previously and not "intumescent", as there are different requirements depending on the door location.

Where are these doors, is the property more than two storey, and is this new work or replacement?

No. A draught strip as linked is not an intumescent seal unless it's specifically stated as such. However some intumescent seals can be draught (and sound) seals.

Also, apologies for calling these "smoke" seals previously and not "intumescent", as there are different requirements depending on the door location.

Where are these doors, is the property more than two storey, and is this new work or replacement?
These are internal doors (so in each room). The property is a flat in a purpose built mansion. This work was to replace old doors with the doorstep and everything.

OK that seems like they should be FD30 rating, which is intumescent only. Possibly self closing too.

However front doors to a communal landing or hallway may need to be FD60s and self closing. These will be slightly different seals.

So search for a product that is intumescent, or intumescent plus a smoke seal (brush or rubber) and if you desire acoustic/draught too in the rating required of 30 or 60 minutes.

When I ordered these doors, I told the joiner that I was particularly interested in acoustic isolation, so maybe that's why he went with these.

Do you have any product in mind that's both intumescent, smoke, and acoustic proof?

Typically, I'd specify Envirograf products so have a look on their site. Or look at the Safelincs site, who may stock other types.

But TBH, if you are after draught/acoustic seals then they will have either a plastic or rubber strip and this will give you that similar sound when you open the door. If you just go for a brush product that won't make the noise and I suspect they will perform the same for sound and draughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back